With a creamy filling, chunks of chicken, and lots of veggies, this Homemade Chicken Pot Pie is warming, filling, and easy to make. The ultimate comfort food and great for freezing!
Easy Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken pot pie is one of those dishes that always says “comfort food” to me. There’s just something about the creamy sauce, veggies, and bites of chicken between flaky pie crusts that makes a day a little better.
And a homemade pot pie? Even better. I love this homemade chicken pot pie recipe because I control everything that goes in it, which gives me a nice opportunity to sneak in some extra veggies and use up leftover chicken too. Adding in all of the vegetables plus extra chunks of chicken really turns this into a complete, filling meal, with no need for extra sides.
This easy chicken pot pie also freezes well, so it makes a great recipe to double and keep in the freezer.
What You’ll Need
Here are the main ingredients needed in this easy pot pie recipe.
- Pie crust – I use homemade pie crust, though refrigerated pie crust would also work.
- Chicken – This is a great way to use leftover chicken! Shred or dice the chicken. Any cut of chicken will work but remove the skin and bones.
- Unsalted butter
- Vegetables – I used chopped onion, diced carrots, and frozen peas as well as diced potatoes for the veggie portion of the filling.
- Chicken stock – The base of the filling liquid.
- Heavy cream – Adds a nice creaminess to the filling.
- Seasonings – Salt, pepper, and celery seed are added to the filling for flavor, along with fresh parsley.
- Egg – Used in the egg wash to create the crispy golden finish on the pie crust.
Here are a few ways to switch up your homemade pot pies.
- Can I use other vegetables? Absolutely. Mushrooms, broccoli, green beans, corn, and other vegetables can all be added to the filling.
- Can I use other meat? You can easily turn this into a turkey pot pie by using shredded or cubed turkey breast instead of chicken. Ham is another good alternative.
- Can this be made vegetarian? Absolutely. Swap the chicken stock for veggie stock and omit the chicken. I would add some additional veggies to replace the meat or even some mushrooms.
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie
This chicken pot pie dinner is surprisingly easy to make!
- Prepare the pie crust. Roll one of the pie crust disks into a 12″ circle. Transfer to the 9″ pie dish.
- Make the filling. Cook the butter and onions until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic, cook for a minute, then whisk in the flavor. Add the seasonings. Slowly mix in the cream and broth until smooth and thickened. Add the chicken, carrots, potatoes, and peas.
- Assemble the pot pie. Transfer the mixture to the pie pan. Roll the second disk of pie into a 10″ circle and place it over the pie filling. Fold any excess dough until the bottom crust, then crimp the two crusts together to seal.
- Bake. Cut small slits in the top of the pie crust. Brush with the egg wash. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
How to Prevent The Pot Pie From Browning Too Much
If you notice the edges of your pot pie browning more than you’d like, you can cover the pot pie with a pie shield. If you don’t have one, you can make one by cutting a circle, about 4″ or so, from the center of a piece of foil and placing it over the pot pie.
With chicken and vegetables already inside, I find homemade pot pies to be a complete meal on their own. I love that it’s a no-fuss, one-pan dinner that doesn’t require any side dishes (or extra dishes at all).
However, a fresh side salad is always a great addition to any meal and works well here. I’ve also seen others serve pot pies with biscuits to soak up all the creamy filling!
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
Leftover chicken pot pie will last for up to 4 days, as long as the chicken used in the filling was fresh and not leftover. While you can reheat it in the oven, I find it reheats just as nicely in the microwave. This is one of the reasons this easy chicken pot pie is great for meal prep, as it can easily be reheated in a workplace microwave.
Can I Freeze This?
Chicken pot pies make a great freezer meal because they don’t even need to thaw before reheating. You can also freeze them baked or unbaked. In both cases, just cover the pot pie tightly with aluminum foil and freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat, place on the counter for 30 minutes (but don’t thaw it), and bake for 20 to 30 minutes with the foil cover. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 50 minutes or so, until the top is golden and the filling is bubbling.
More Chicken Pot Pie Recipes:
Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 homemade pie crust (2 discs)
- 4 cups cooked chicken shredded or diced
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion (1 cup chopped)
- 3 carrots diced
- 1 medium potato peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 cup frozen peas (do not thaw)
- 1 tablespoon parsley finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 egg (beaten for egg wash)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Roll 1 chilled pie crust disk into a 12” circle. Transfer the rolled pie dough into a 9” pie dish.
- In a large skillet add the butter, onions and cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes until the onions are translucent. Mix in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add in the flour and whisk well for 1 minute.
- Season with salt, pepper and celery seed. Then add in the cream and broth slowly mixing until smooth until thickened (about 6-8 minutes).
- Add the chicken, carrots, potatoes and peas to the saucepan and mix well. Pour into the pie crust. Roll the second disk of pie dough into a 10” diameter circle and place over the pie filling. Fold the excess dough under the bottom crust then crimp the two crusts together to seal.
- Cut some small slits in the top of the pie crust, brush with egg wash (mix the egg and 2 tablespoons of water together to make this) and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly.