Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole is a great family dinner that you can mix up and have in the oven in practically no time. Just 8 ingredients including chicken, cheese, rice, and broccoli, then top the casserole with buttered Corn Flakes for a delicious crunchy topping–this will be one of your new go-to dinner recipes!
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole
Everyone loves a good comforting meal, and Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole really hit the spot. It’s so simple, yet filled with flavor. This recipe is an excellent way to use up leftover chicken or rice.
We also really enjoyed the crunch topping from the Corn Flakes! It reminds me of the topping we used for the oh-so-delicious but strangely named Funeral Potatoes.
Don’t miss these other great dinner recipes! Crab Fettuccine Alfredo | Cheesy Chicken Stuffed Shells | Grilled Sausage Foil Packets | Beer Cheese Soup with Garlic Toast
Here’s what you’ll need to make the Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole (the exact measurements and full recipe instructions are below in the printable recipe card):
- Cooked chicken – you can use leftover chicken or buy a rotisserie chicken in your grocery store deli. Mine sells any chickens not sold the day before and they chop up the meat, so it’s my favorite easy chicken to use for this recipe.
- Fresh broccoli
- Cream of chicken soup – use the condensed soup. You can opt for the low-sodium or low fat versions if you wish.
- Cooked rice – we used basic white rice, but you could try this recipe with cooked brown rice instead.
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Mayonnaise – the mayo adds really good flavor as well as moisture, but you’ll never know there is mayonnaise in the casserole. I do not recommend skipping this ingredient or using salad dressing (Miracle Whip) instead as it will impact the final result.
- Corn Flakes
How to Make Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole
This could not be easier! Grab a big bowl and toss in the cooked chicken, cream of chicken soup, cooked rice, mayonnaise, shredded cheddar cheese, and fresh broccoli. Give it a good mix, then pour it into a greased 2 or 3 quart baking dish.
Mix together the melted butter and Corn Flakes, then spread over top of the casserole.
Bake the casserole at 350ºF for 30-35 minutes, until the casserole is hot and bubbling around the edges. Cool slightly before serving.
This chicken casserole is a meal in itself, but you may want to add a fresh tossed salad and warm buttered bread to the side. If you’re not a fan of broccoli, try our Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole.
Can I Make the Casserole Ahead?
Yes, you can mix up the casserole the night before. Just do not add the Corn Flakes topping. The next day when you’re ready to cook the casserole, set it out on the counter for the baking dish to warm up a bit as the oven preheats. Mix up the Corn Flakes topping and add to the casserole, then bake as the recipe instructs.
Because the casserole includes fresh broccoli and other ingredients that might not freeze and thaw well, I do not recommend freezing the casserole to bake later.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Keep the leftover Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to three days, but do be aware that the Corn Flakes topping will become very soft.
Reheat individual portions in the microwave on heat safe plates, or you can bake the leftover casserole in the oven at 350ºF until hot.
More Recipes You Will Love
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- 2 cups fully cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken recommended) chopped
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (full-fat, not salad dressing)
- 3/4 cup Corn Flakes
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, broccoli, rice, cheese, cream of chicken soup, and mayonnaise. Spread the mixture into a greased 2 or 3 quart baking dish.
- In a small bowl, toss the Corn Flakes with the melted butter, then spread over top of the casserole.
- Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes until hot and bubbling around the edges. Cool slightly before serving.
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.
2 comments on “Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole”
Easy and delicious
Quick easy and such great comfort food!!