With a flaky, buttery crescent roll crust, this Chicken Pot Pie Casserole is the ultimate comfort food. This quick & easy casserole uses frozen veggies and canned soup to keep prep to a minimum without sacrificing any flavor.
Easy & Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie
We’re huge fans of chicken pot pie in my house. My classic chicken pot pie recipe makes a regular appearance on our dinner table and while it’s pretty easy itself, there are some weeknights when I just want to take a shortcut or two. On those nights, this Chicken Pot Pie Casserole is the answer. It’s very similar to that classic recipe, except cream of chicken soup is used in place of a homemade sauce and pie crust is swapped for crescent rolls.
The end result is a creamy, filling casserole topped with flaky, buttery crescent rolls with just 10 minutes of prep. How perfect is that?
What You’ll Need
Here are the few ingredients needed to make this easy chicken casserole.
- Chicken – Cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken both work in this recipe.
- Seasonings – Salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper season the pot pie filling.
- Cream of chicken soup – The creamy base to the casserole.
- Sour cream – Balances the rich flavor of the soup and adds extra creaminess.
- Frozen vegetables – Mixed vegetables work perfectly for this.
- Cheddar cheese – The slight tang of cheddar pairs perfectly with the rich, savory flavors of the other ingredients.
- Crescent roll dough – Makes the flaky, irresistible crust.
Can I Use Puff Pastry Instead of Crescent Rolls?
Yes, if you prefer puff pastry, you can use it instead of crescent rolls. Just keep an eye on it during cooking as the bake time may be slightly different.
I find adding frozen mixed veggies to be the easiest way to make the filling. However, you can easily switch the mixed veggies for your favorite vegetables or even use fresh veggies. If using fresh, I do recommend sauteing them first.
In addition to the frozen veggies, you can add things like sauteed onions and celery, mushrooms, frozen potatoes (like hashbrowns), or tiny cubes of potatoes. You can also mix up the flavors by adding dried herbs like thyme and rosemary.
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
Here are a few simple steps to make this easy chicken pot pie.
- Prepare the filling. Combine the chicken with the seasonings then add the sour cream, soup, and vegetables. Spread in the casserole dish. Top with the cheddar cheese.
- Add the crescent dough. Unroll the crescent dough into a large rectangle. Pinch the edges together and stretch so that it fits over the filling.
- Bake. Bake for 20 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes, then cut and serve.
Can I Add A Bottom Crust?
If you’re a flaky crust lover, you can definitely add a bottom crust to this chicken pot pie. You’ll need to prebake it, so stretch a second roll of crescent dough over the bottom of the casserole dish then bake for 20 minutes, until light brown. This is an essential step – otherwise, the bottom crust will just be a soggy mess.
Once it’s pre-baked, assemble the casserole as normal.
The best thing about this chicken casserole (and most casseroles) is that on a lazy night, no side dishes are required! In addition to the flaky crescent dough, this casserole is packed with cubes of chicken and veggies so it’s a filling and complete meal in one. Perfect for those busy nights.
Of course, you can always add a nice side salad or some extra veggies on the side if desired.
Storage & Freezing
- How to store & reheat leftovers. Leftover chicken pot pie casserole will last for 3 to 4 days in the fridge when kept covered or in an airtight container. Reheat in the oven or the microwave.
- Can I freeze this? Yes, this freezes well. Allow to cool completely then cover tightly with plastic wrap and foil.
More Chicken Pot Pie Recipes:
Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- 3 cups cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken (cubed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tube crescent roll dough
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease or spray a 13 X 9 inch baking dish
- In a large bowl, Add cooked chicken, and season with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Add cream of chicken soup, sour cream, frozen vegetables, and mix together. Spread evenly in casserole dish, and top with cheese.
- Unroll the crescent dough so that it's a large rectangle, and place over the chicken mixture. Pinch edges together, and stretch so that it fits over the filling.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is hot and bubbling. Let it sit for 5 minutes before cutting to allow filling to thicken up.
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.
2 comments on “Chicken Pot Pie Casserole”
This was a really great dinner !! Easy and yummy !!
I made ot for my family and they loved it. For the vegetables, I just used carrots and green beans; that’s all my family like. I will make it again very soon.
Thank you for this recipe