This delicious Chocolate Layer Twix Cake is absolutely amazing. It is moist and delicious and brings together all the flavors of Twix Candy Bars into this rich chocolate layer cake. This is going to become one of your most requested cake for parties and get togethers.
Chocolate Layer Twix Cake
I love creating cake recipes that taste like my favorite candy bars, like Easy Snickers Cupcakes and Cadbury Egg Cupcakes. It brings such a fun element to the cake. With this Chocolate Layer Twix Cake, it has chocolate and caramel and then it is topped off with Twix bars for a cake that is beautiful and delicious.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Triple Chocolate Cake Mix– Using a cake mix saves time or you can use your favorite chocolate cake recipe
- Eggs– It is best to use room temperature eggs when baking
- Water- This is the water for making the cake mix.
- Canola oil– You can use vegetable oil as well.
- Unsalted butter– It is best to use unsalted butter. It allows you to control the saltiness of the recipe.
- Powdered sugar– This is the sugar that is used most often in frosting recipes.
- Heavy whipping cream– The whipping cream is to thin the frosting to right consistency.
- Pure vanilla extract– Always use pure vanilla extract for the best flavor.
- Caramel sauce– Just like eating a Twix, you want to use caramel sauce to give the same flavor.
- Chocolate sauce– A store bought chocolate sauce makes this step easier than making your own chocolate sauce.
- Twix candy bars– This is a Twix cake after all.
How to Make a Layered Twix Cake
- Beat the cake mix ingredients together and then pour the batter into 3 prepared cake pans.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 28-35 minutes.
- After the cakes have cooled, make the frosting by beating the butter, powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and caramel sauce together.
- Beat the frosting until it starts to form stiff peaks.
- Cut off the domes on all of the cake layers to make them even.
- Place 1 cup of frosting on the bottom layer and smooth it evenly.
- Place the second cake layer on top and add about another cup of frosting. Smooth it evenly over the cake.
- Add the 3rd layer of cake and frost the entire cake.
- Using the caramel sauce, pipe drips along the cake and let it drip down the side.
- Do the same thing with the chocolate sauce.
- Pipe dollops of frosting around the top of the cake and the cake and then place a piece of Twix candy into the frosting.
Can I Make This With a Cake from Scratch?
If you wanted to make this cake from scratch you certainly can. This Homemade Chocolate Cake recipe is fantastic. I use both methods and find that the cake tastes about the same either way.
Tips for Making Even Layers
When you are making cake layers you want the cakes to be even and flat. The first trick is to place the same amount of batter in each layer. This will make sure that each cake is about the same in height. This also makes it easier to bake the cakes so that the cooking times are the same. Next, make sure your oven is level. If your oven tilts to one side, that makes the batter go to one side and bake unevenly. Lastly, use a cake leveler. When the cakes come out of the pan, you want to make sure the layers are flat and even. A cake leveler makes it easy to trip the domes of the cakes.
More Layer Cake Recipes
- Mint Chocolate Chip Layer Cake
- Baileys Irish Cream Layer Cake
- Layered Cannoli Cake Recipe
- Blue Velvet Cake
- Layered Cherry Coke Cake
Chocolate Layer Twix Cake
- 2 Boxes Triple Chocolate Cake Mix
- 6 large eggs
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 cup canola oil
Chocolate cake directions:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray the cake pans with pam baking spray.
- Using a hand mixer, beat together all ingredients until combined.
- Divide batter into the 3 cake pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 28-35 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean
Caramel frosting directions
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the butter, powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, vanilla, 2 tbsp caramel sauce.
- Beat until combined, smooth and stiff with peaks.
Building the cake directions:
- Place one cake layer onto the cake board and cut the dome off the cake to make an even layer.
- Repeat step with other two layers.
- Place one of the cake layers onto the cake board.
- Scoop 1 Cup of caramel frosting onto the cake layer and smooth evenly.
- Place the second cake layer on top of the frosting.
- Smooth 1 Cup of caramel frosting onto the second cake layer.
- Place the last layer on top.
- Frost entire cake with remaining frosting and smooth evenly with a frosting scraper or a flat metal spatula.
- Using the caramel sauce, pipe drips around the top edge of the cake so that it drips down the sides.
- Repeat step with the chocolate sauce.
- Pipe dollops of frosting around the top of the cake.
- Place pieces of Twix candy bars into the frosting.