Cherry coke cake is a classic and beloved cake well known in the south. This cake can be found at picnics, potlucks and family get-togethers. With such a fantastic flavor, you will love this cake.
If you love making desserts with soda, you will love this Cherry Dr Pepper Cake.
Layered Cherry Coke Cake
This Cherry Cola Cake is a moist cake that is light and airy. The carbonation will help make this cake fluffy because it will help the cake to rise. With a burst of delicious cherry flavor, you will love this cake and cherry frosting.
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Kosher salt
- Cherry Coke soda
- Canola Oil
- Sour cream
- Pure vanilla extract
- Maraschino cherry juice
- Unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar
- Heavy whipping cream
- Cherry extract
- Maraschino cherry juice
- Pnk gel food coloring
- Maraschino cherries
- Semi sweet chocolate chips
How to Make a Cherry Coke Cake
Start with preheating the oven to 350 degrees and prepare the cake pans with baking spray.
Using a mixing bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Using a large bowl, mix together the cherry coke, canola oil, and sour cream until smooth.
Beat in the eggs, vanilla and cherry juice.
Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix it together.
Divide the cake batter between the cake pans.
Bake the cakes in the oven for 25-30 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
Allow the cakes to cool completely.
Once the cakes have cooled completely, remove the cakes from the pans.
Place the cakes on cake boards and using a cake leveler, remove the domes.
While the cakes are cooling make the frosting by creaming the butter, vanilla, powdered sugar, cherry extract, cherry juice, and heavy whipping cream. Beat it until it’s well combined and forming stiff peaks.
Scoop 1 cup of frosting in a piping bag and place it aside until after the cake is frosted.
Place the first layer of cake onto the cake board and add 4 to 6 scoops of frosting onto the cake layer and smooth it evenly.
Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cherries, chopped, on top of the icing and press them lightly into the icing.
Place the next layer of cake on top and spread more frosting over the cake. Add another 1/4 cup of chopped cherries on the frosting and press them in lightly.
Place the last layer of cake on top and frost the remaining cake with the remaining frosting.
Next, make the chocolate ganache.
In a small saucepan, heat the heavy whipping cream until it starts to steam.
While the heavy cream is getting hot, put the chocolate chips into a bowl.
Once the cream is steaming, pour the cream over the chocolate chips and let it sit for 1 minute and then mix the chocolate and cream until it is smooth.
Put the ganache into a squeeze bottle and then pipe the ganache along the edge of the cake.
Using the frosting in the piping bag, pipe dollops of frosting onto the cake and then place a cherry on top of each dollop of frosting.
Cut and enjoy.
Can I Use Any Cherry Cola in this Cake?
When you are making this cake, you are using cherry cola to give the cake flavor. You can use whatever brand of cherry cola that you like, whether it is a store brand of a brand name.
Are There Real Cherries In Cherry Coke Cake?
When you are making cherry cola cake, you are using cherries, but you are not using fresh cherries. This cake calls for maraschino cherries as well as the juice from the jar.
Layered Cherry Coke Cake
Cherry Cola Cake Ingredients
- 2 C Flour
- 2 C sugar
- 3/4 C Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 C+ 3 tbsp Cherry Coke soda
- ½ C Canola Oil
- 1 C sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ C maraschino cherry juice
Cherry Frosting ingredients
- 3 C unsalted butter softened
- 6 C powdered sugar
- 5 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp cherry extract
- ¼ C Maraschino cherry juice
- 2 drops of pink gel food coloring
- 1 C stemless Maraschino cherries dried and cut in half
- 1 small jar of Maraschino Cherries with stems for toppings
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients:
- 1 C semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray the baking pans with pam baking spray
- Using a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt until combined
- Using another large bowl, whisk together the cherry coke, canola oil and sour cream until combined and smooth
- Whisk in the eggs, vanilla extract and maraschino cherry juice
- Gradually pour in the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk until combined
- Divide the batter into the 3 cake pans
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool completely
- Remove the cake layers and place onto the cake boards
- Using the cake leveler, remove the domes of the cakes
- Using a standing mixer, cream together the butter, vanilla, powdered sugar, Cherry extract, Maraschino Cherry juice and creamy and stiff with peaks heavy whipping cream until combined and
- Scoop 1 C of frosting into the piping bag
Directions to build the cake
- Place 1 layer of cake onto the cake board
- Using the ice cream scooper, scoop out 4-6 scoops of frosting and smooth evenly on one layer of cake
- Sprinkle about ¼ C of the chopped cherries on top of the frosting and lightly push down
- Place another layer of cake on top and spread more frosting
- Sprinkle another ¼ C of cherries on top of the frosting
- Place the last layer on top and frost the remaining cake with remaining frosting
Chocolate ganache directions
- Using a small pot, heat up the heavy whipping cream until steaming
- While heavy whipping cream is heating up, place chocolate chips into a heat-proof bowl
- Once the heavy whipping cream is heated, pour over the chocolate chips
- Allow to sit for 1 minute before whisking until smooth
- Pour ganache into the squeeze bottle
- Pipe dollops of ganache over the edge of the cake
- Pipe dollops of frosting onto the top of the cake
- Place a Maraschino Cherry with stem into the dollops of frosting
- Cut and serve and enjoy