Soft and fluffy homemade muffins are coated with cinnamon sugar to mimic your favorite donuts in this quick and easy recipe! These Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins are a feel-good breakfast that goes great with a hot mug of coffee or a cold glass of milk.
Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins
These sweet little puffs remind me so much of a fresh cinnamon sugar cake donut. You’ll love how easy they are to make! No need to even pull out an electric mixer and you can skip the deep fryer too–Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins are baked in the oven and I even provide make-ahead instructions below.
Here’s what you’ll need to make the Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins (the exact measurements and full recipe instructions are below in the printable recipe card):
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Milk – You can use any milk you have on hand, but I prefer whole milk. The fat content is perfect for baking up the most tender muffins!
- Vanilla extract
How to Make Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients, then pour the mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir just until smooth.
The batter will be fairly thin.
Scoop the batter into a muffin pan that has been greased with non-stick cooking spray. Fill the cups about 2/3 full of the batter.
Bake the muffins at 350ºF for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Meanwhile, mix together cinnamon and sugar and melt butter for the muffin coating.
Dip each muffin in the melted butter. Be sure to coat all sides, top and bottom.
Roll the butter-dipped muffins in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
Allow the muffins to set for a few minutes before serving.
Can I Make Mini Muffins Instead?
This recipe can be used to make full-size muffins or mini muffins–you choose! Simply reduce the baking time to 12-14 minutes when making mini muffins. The rest of the instructions are the same for either full-size or mini.
Make Ahead Instructions
If you’d like to make these muffins ahead, follow the instructions as normal but do not add the butter, cinnamon, and sugar coating. Allow the muffins to cool completely, then place them in an airtight container and refrigerate them overnight. Right before serving, dip the muffins in the melted butter and cinnamon sugar.
Another option is to freeze the muffins for up to a month before serving. Simply thaw at room temperature then dip them in the melted butter and cinnamon sugar before serving.
How to Store Extra Muffins
Keep the leftover muffins in an airtight container or zip top bag either in the refrigerator or at room temperature. They will stay fresh for up to three days.
More Sweet Treats You Will Love
Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins
For the Muffins
For the Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray the wells of a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon for the muffins.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla. Pour into the dry mixture and stir just until combined.
- Fill the muffin pan cups 2/3 full of the batter. Bake at 350F for 20-22 minutes (or 12-14 minutes for mini muffins) until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove from the pan and allow to continue to cool on a wire cooling rack.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon for the coating. Dip the muffins in the melted butter then roll in the cinnamon sugar.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.