Wait until you try these amazing Pumpkin Muffins with Streusel Topping. The perfect combination of a moist muffin and pumpkin spice flavor. Eat them for breakfast for as an afternoon snack.
Pumpkin Muffins with Streusel Topping
These are moist and tender muffins that are packed with pumpkin spice flavor. Made with pumpkin and spices, these muffins are perfect for fall or whenever you have a strong pumpkin craving. Enjoy them fresh from the oven, at room temperature or grill them in a skillet.
- Butter- Always use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt in a recipe.
- Sugar- You need sugar in a muffin recipe
- Brown sugar- Brown sugar helps to add moisture and a deeper flavor to the muffins.
- Pumpkin- Make sure it is pure pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie mix.
- Sour cream- The sour cream adds acidity to the recipe which helps to break down the gluten in the flour making the muffin tender.
- Eggs- Slightly beat the eggs before adding to the batter.
- Molasses- Molasses gives a rich flavor to the muffins
- Flour-Use all purpose flour when possible
- Baking soda- Baking soda helps to make the muffins rise
- Baking powder- If using self rising flour, you do not need baking powder
- Salt- Salt helps to bring out the flavor of baked goods.
- Pumpkin pie spice- Pumpkin pie spice creates the best flavor for the muffins.
How to Make Pumpkin Muffins
Cream together the butter, sugar and brown sugar together in a mixing bowl.
Add the pumpkin, sour cream, eggs, and molasses.
Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice together in a separate bowl and then slowly combine it with the batter.
Scoop the batter into a prepared muffin tin.
Make the crumble topping by combining the flour and brown sugar together with a fork and sprinkle it over the top of the muffins.
Bake the muffins for 20 minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven.
Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then move them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Do Pumpkin Muffins Have to be Refrigerated?
These pumpkin muffins can be stored at room temperature. You want to make sure that the muffins are covered well to protect them from getting stale. You can store the muffins in the refrigerator if you prefer and you can also store them in the freezer.
What Spices are In Pumpkin Spice Mix?
While some brands might add a bit more of one or another, most pumpkin spice mixes have ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and sometimes allspice.
More Pumpkin Spice Recipes
- Easy Pumpkin Spice Sugar Cookies
- Pumpkin Spice Muddy Buddies Recipe
- White Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Cake Recipe
- Pumpkin Spice Monkey Bread
Pumpkin Muffins with Streusel Topping
- ¼ cup butter softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup pureed pumpkin
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar together.
- Mix in the pumpkin, sour cream, eggs and molasses.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice.
- Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and stir until just combined.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling the cups ¾ full.
- In a small bowl make the topping by mixing together the flour and brown sugar then use a fork to cut in the butter until it is crumbly.
- Sprinkle the topping generously over the top of the muffins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.