This Green Chicken Enchilada Soup recipe is made with simple ingredients but results in tasty, bold flavors! It’s creamy, cheesy, and cozy – which is perfect for cold weather. You can make it on the stovetop or in the slow cooker.
The Easiest Green Chicken Enchilada Soup
Out of all of the recipes for chicken enchilada soup I have tried before, this one is by far at the top of my list. It’s similar to our white chicken chili recipe, but in the form of soup. It uses easy ingredients and requires minimal prep. Meals like soups typically take a little bit of work, like chopping vegetables, and this one skips all of that. The authentic flavor comes from the green enchilada sauce and salsa verde. It goes to show that you don’t have to sacrifice flavors by using some shortcuts.
If I make this soup in the slow cooker, I add all of the ingredients and just let it cook all day. By dinner time, we have a creamy, yummy soup that tastes completely from scratch! The stovetop is super simple too – the chicken is cooked and shredded before simmering, but it’s still a fast step. No matter how you make it, the result is still the same. It’s even kid-friendly, too!
Not a fan of chicken? Try our Beef Enchilada Soup!
What You’ll Need
This recipe calls for super simple ingredients. Since you are not using fresh produce, I like to buy extras to keep on hand so I can make it any time!
- Chicken Breasts: Make sure they are boneless and skinless. They can be cooked whole with either method.
- Green Enchilada Sauce
- Chicken Broth
- Half and Half
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Cream Cheese: Cut it into cubes so it melts easier. You do not have to soften the cream cheese before adding it.
- Salsa Verde
- Salt and Pepper: This is optional. Add a pinch or two of each to taste.
How to Make Green Chicken Enchilada Soup
If you want a quick cooking method, I highly recommend making this enchilada soup on the stove. The longest step is cooking the chicken, but the rest is super quick.
- Step 1. Add chicken and broth to a large stock pot. Bring it to a simmer and cook until the chicken is tender and no longer pink.
- Step 2. Remove the cooked chicken and shred it with two forks.
- Step 3. Return the shredded chicken to the pot and add green enchilada sauce, half and half, Monterey jack cheese, cream cheese, and salsa verde.
- Step 4. Cook until the soup is warm and the cheese is melted, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
How to Make Enchilada Soup in the Slow Cooker
If you prefer the set-and-forget method of cooking, then you should make this enchilada chicken soup. Set it up first thing in the morning, and it will be ready at dinner time.
- Step 1. Add chicken breast, green enchilada sauce, and chicken broth to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Step 2. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 2-4 hours.
- Step 3. Remove the chicken and shred it with two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker.
- Step 4. Add Monterey jack cheese, cream cheese, half and half, and salsa verde to the pot.
- Step 5. Set the slow cooker to warm and stir until the cheeses are melted.
How to Store Leftovers
Store leftover chicken enchilada soup in an airtight container. It will keep fresh in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. It’s easy to reheat in the microwave or a small pot on the stove. You can freeze if stored in a properly sealed container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Green Chicken Enchilada Soup
- You can substitute chicken thighs if you like or even leftover, cooked chicken.
- Pick up a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store for a quick evening meal.
- Swap the Monterey Jack cheese for pepper jack to add a kick.
- Garnish with sour cream, extra salsa verde, shredded mexican cheese, chopped cilantro, or a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
More Soup Recipes
- Chicken Barley Soup
- Zuppa Toscana Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Hamburger Soup
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Ramen Chicken Noodle Soup
Green Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 2.5 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 28- ounce can green enchilada sauce
- 1 24 ounces chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese cubed
- 4 ounces salsa verde
- salt and pepper to taste
Stove Top Directions:
- In a large stockpot, add chicken and broth. Simmer until chicken is cooked through and tender. Remove chicken and shred using a fork.
- Add shredded chicken, green enchilada sauce, half and half, Monterey jack cheese, cream cheese, and salsa verde to the pot. Stir and heat soup until warm and the cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with additional salsa verde and sour cream on the side. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Directions:
- In a 6-quart slow cooker add chicken breast, green enchilada sauce, and chicken broth. Cook on Low 6 to 8 hours or High for 2-4 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred. Add shredded chicken, jack cheese, cream cheese, half and half, and green salsa to the crock pot. Set to warm and stir until the cheeses are melted.