Imagine walking down the street or on a boardwalk and spotting your favorite candy shop. They of course have all your favorites, but you wish you could make it at home. This Cinnamon Hard Candy Recipe is a way to make your own homemade candy simply and with just a few ingredients.
Cinnamon Rock Candy
I love making this recipe because it tastes like you bought it directly from a candy shop and made it by professionals. It has a deliciously sweet cinnamon flavor that is to die for. It is perfect for goodies or gift bags for the holidays or just to have a sweet snack on hand.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Sugar: You will need granulated sugar, powdered sugar, and light corn syrup to add sweetness to the recipe.
Cinnamon Candy Oil: This will be used to flavor the recipe. You can also use water-based red food coloring to add color to the recipe.
How To Make Cinnamon Hard Candy Recipe
Step 1. Use the butter to coat the 15-inchx10-inchx1-inch jelly roll pan. Use parchment paper to line the pan and then grease again with butter. Add the sugar, corn syrup water, and food coloring into a large saucepan and combine over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Mix occasionally and once boiled, leave it uncovered for 3 minutes until the sugar dissolves. Place a candy thermometer into the mixture and allow it to cook on medium until it reaches 300 degrees. This is also referred to as the “hard crack” stage, so make sure not to mix until the very end. It should take about 20-25 minutes to reach 300 degrees.
Step 2. Just before it reaches 300 degrees, take it off the heat and stir the mixture to keep it from burning. Place it back on the heat and carefully watch as it reaches 300 degrees. Take it off the heat and immediately add the cinnamon oil in a well-ventilated area because the smell is strong. Pour the hot mixture into the prepared pan carefully and allow it to cool for 1.5 to 2.5 hours.
Step 3. Top the candy with powdered sugar and flip over and do the same to the other side. Place the head of a hammer in a Ziplock bag and use it to break up the cinnamon candy. You can sprinkle more powdered sugar on top if desired or leave the edges exposed. Serve and enjoy!
Can I Use Other Flavors For This Hard Candy Recipe?
Yes! If you prefer a different flavor for this recipe or don’t like cinnamon, you can absolutely try other flavors. You will just need your specific candy-flavored oil and switch out the cinnamon flavor. You can also change the color of the recipe to blue, green, orange, etc depending on the flavor, you want to use.
Tips & Tricks
- If you want a stronger flavor, you can use 1.5 tsp or 2 tsp of cinnamon oil.
- If you prefer thinner candy, use a larger sheet pan.
- Place leftover candy in an airtight container for the best storage method. Keep it at room temperature in a cool area so the candy doesn’t become tacky.
More Homemade Candy Recipes:
- Cool Whip Candy (3 Musketeers Copycat)
- Homemade Payday Candy Bars
- Crockpot Christmas Candy
- Frozen Candy Grapes with Jello
Cinnamon Hard Candy Recipe
- Butter for preparing the pan and parchment paper
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup purified water
- 1 tsp red food coloring water-based, optional
- 1 tsp cinnamon candy oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Grease a 15”x10”x1” baking sheet (jelly roll pan) with butter. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper and then butter the parchment paper also. In a large saucepan, add the sugar, corn syrup, water, and food coloring. Stir the mixture, cover, and heat over medium heat until boiling (stirring occasionally). Once boiling, uncover and let it boil for 3 minutes to dissolve sugar (stirring occasionally).
- Insert a candy thermometer into the saucepan and cook on medium heat until the mixture gets to 300 degrees °F or the “hard crack” stage. Do not stir during this step until the very end. As the mixture approaches 300 degrees (this took about 20-25 minutes), remove it from the heat and give it a quick stir to prevent burning. Replace the mixture back onto the heat and watch it closely and carefully until it reaches 300 degrees.
- Once the mixture reaches 300 degrees °F, immediately remove it from the heat and quickly add the cinnamon oil (do this in a well-ventilated area or open a window because the fragrance is very strong). Carefully pour the very hot mixture into the prepared pan. Let cool for 1.5 – 2.5 hours.
- Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar and then flip it over and sprinkle the other side. Wrap the head of a hammer with a zippered bag and use a hammer to break the candy apart. Option to re-sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired or leave the edges exposed and clean.
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.