This Edible Cookie Dough is 100% joy-inducing. Made with a few ingredients in just 2 minutes, it’s quick, easy, and addicting. Perfect for those always tempted to lick the spoons after baking cookies!
Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
I could easily sit down and eat a whole bowl of this Eggless Edible Cookie Dough. I remember always being the first one to lick the beaters and the bowl when making chocolate chip cookies with my mom, so it’s safe to say I’ve eaten my share of raw cookie dough – as I’m sure many have. But while most of us avoided getting sick, cookie dough does contain raw eggs and raw flour, which are not safe to consume raw.
The solution? Edible cookie dough without eggs, using heat-treated flour! It’s the safe way to eat cookie dough so you can dig in by the spoonful with 0 regrets or concerns. It’s super easy to assemble and kids LOVE it (as do adults).
I made this as edible chocolate chip cookie dough, since that’s our family’s favorite. But you can use this recipe as a base to mix in your favorite treats, such as M&Ms, Reese’s, or raisins. Either way, it’s a guaranteed hit!
Is It Safe To Eat Cookie Dough?
Though I think that most of us are probably guilty of eating a spoonful or two in our lifetimes, regular cookie dough is not safe to eat. Most people assume that this is due to the raw eggs but it’s actually due to the raw flour as well.
Just like eating raw eggs, consuming raw flour can cause foodborne illness in case if the flour contains bacteria that cause disease. It is best to heat treat the flour before consuming, which we do before making this edible cookie dough.
What You’ll Need
The ingredients used to make this are basically the same as regular cookie dough, just without the eggs!
- Unsalted butter – Softened to get the right texture.
- Sugar – Equal parts granulated sugar and light brown sugar are used in this recipe.
- Vanilla extract – Adds the flavor.
- Flour – See below for instructions on how to heat treat it before using.
- Sea salt – Balances the sweetness.
- Mini chocolate chips – Or your favorite mix-ins.
- Milk – This will help with the consistency of the dough. You can use almond milk as well.
Eggless Cookie Dough Mix-Ins
If you want to switch up your edible dough with something other than chocolate chips, here are a few suggestions!
- White chocolate chips
- Mini Reese’s
- Chopped mini Snickers or Twix
- Dried fruits, raisins or cranberries
- Add cocoa powder for a chocolate cookie dough
How to Heat Treat Flour
Heat treating your flour is an important step you don’t want to skip.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spread flour in an even layer.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes, use a thermometer to check that the flour reached 160F (72C) immediately after removing from oven.
- Once flour has reached 160F (72C) allow it to cool and run it through a sifter to break up any clumps that may have formed while baking.
- Place the flour in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave on high, stopping at 15-20 second intervals and stirring the flour well for a total of 2 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave and let cool.
Note that you can bulk heat treat flour and then store it for later use, so that you don’t need to do this every time you want edible cookie dough.
How to Make Edible Cookie Dough
Here are the quick and easy steps to making eggless cookie dough.
- Combine the butter and sugar. Mix the butter and sugars until well combined. Add the vanilla and milk.
- Add the dry ingredients. Stir in the flour, salt, and chocolate chips.
- Enjoy. Cover until ready to use. Enjoy!
Can I Make This Gluten Free?
To make gluten free edible cookie dough, simply replace the regular flour with gluten free flour blend. The consistency is different so you may need to add in some almond milk, to reach the desired consistency.
Let’s be real – the best way to eat any cookie dough is by the spoonful! Which you can do with absolutely 0 regrets with this eggless cookie dough recipe. You can either dive right in with a fork or use a cookie scoop to form balls of dough for serving.
How to Store
You can simply store your edible cookie dough at room temperature, just keep it covered with a lid or plastic wrap. It will last for up to 2 days.
If desired, you can also refrigerate it. This is ideal if you live in a hot place. However, you’ll want to set it out on the counter for 20 minutes or so, to bring it to a softer consistency.
Can I Make Edible Cookie Dough?
This eggless cookie dough should not be baked. Since it’s lacking some key ingredients, it won’t hold a shape, rise, or create that cookie texture. Instead, you’ll end up with a flat and crumbly dough. So just enjoy this one raw!
More Cookie Dough Recipes:
- Valentine Cookie Dough Dip
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Easy Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Fudge
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles
Edible Eggless Cookie Dough
- Place softened butter into a mixing bowl. Add in sugars until well combined, then add in the vanilla and milk.
- Stir in the flour, salt and chocolate chips until dough forms.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap or lid until ready to use. We do not refrigerate.
- Now grab a big spoon and enjoy!