This Hashbrown casserole recipe is easy to make and can be served for breakfast or dinner. Frozen hashbrowns, cheese, and a creamy sauce make this dish the ultimate comfort food.
Want a slow cooker version? Check out my crock pot hash brown casserole.
The Best Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
This Hashbrown Casserole recipe is one of my favorite go-to side dishes. It’s easy to make, uses simple ingredients, and can be served for breakfast or dinner. Made with frozen hashbrowns, cheese, and a creamy sauce, you can serve it with everything from crispy bacon for breakfast, to chicken tenders for dinner. Everyone loves this cozy casserole recipe too, which makes it a winner in my book!
What is Hashbrown Casserole?
A hashbrown casserole is a baked side dish made with frozen hashbrown potatoes, cheese, cornflakes, and a creamy sauce. You can eat it for breakfast and brunch, or serve it for dinner as a side dish. It’s also a popular potluck recipe!
What You’ll Need
Here’s a quick overview of what you’ll need to make hash brown casserole. Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card for specific amounts:
- Frozen Hash Brown Potatoes – These are found in the freeze section of the grocery store.
- Sauce – When you are making the creamy sauce for this recipe, you are using the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and mayo. These ingredients come together for a delicious creamy sauce. In a pinch, you can use cream of mushroom soup, but this does give the casserole a different flavor.
- Cheddar Cheese – Cheddar cheese is my favorite choice but you can use whatever shredded cheese you like.
- Corn Flakes Cereal – Make sure you are using corn flakes and not frosted flakes. Frosted flakes are sweetened and this is not what you want in your hashbrown casserole.
How to Make Hashbrown Casserole
Combine the Ingredients
Set the oven to 325 degrees and use Pam cooking spray to lightly grease a 13×9-inch baking dish. Add the hashbrowns, cheese, soup, sour cream, mayonnaise, and seasonings into a large bowl and combine until fully incorporated.
Add the Cornflake Topping
In a medium bowl, heat the butter in the microwave until melted. Crush up the cornflakes and combine with the melted butter. Top the hashbrowns mixer with the cornflakes.
Place the baking dish into the oven for 60-90 minutes until light brown and bubbly. Serve right away and place any leftovers in the fridge. Enjoy!
Can I Make this Casserole the Day Before?
Yes, this hashbrown casserole can be made ahead if desired. You can prepare all of your ingredients and store the baking dish in the fridge or freezer until you are ready to bake it.
How to Store and Reheat Extras
- Fridge: Let your casserole cool and then transfer it to an airtight container or cover it tightly with saran wrap. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freezer: Place the casserole in an airtight container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
You can reheat individual servings in the microwave for a couple of minutes until warmed through. Or you can reheat the entire casserole in an oven preheated to 350F.
The amount of time required to reheat the casserole will depend upon how much food you are reheating at once. If you froze the casserole before baking it, then thaw it overnight in the fridge and bake as directed in the recipe.
More Casserole Recipes
- Ham Casserole Recipe
- Cabbage Roll Casserole (Easy and Cheesy)
- Taco Tater Tot Casserole
- Crockpot Breakfast Casserole with Sausage
- 1 32 oz package frozen hashbrown potatoes cubed
- ½ cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 10.5oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 3 cups corn flakes cereal crushed
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- Lightly spray 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray
- In a large bowl, add hashbrowns, cheese, soup, sour cream, mayonnaise, and seasonings
- Mix until well combined
- Spread evenly into baking dish
- Melt butter in a medium-size microwave-safe bowl
- Crush cornflakes and add to butter, mix until well combined
- Sprinkle over hashbrown mixture
- Bake for 60-90 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly
- Serve immediately