Whether it’s for a family gathering or a quick family dinner, these Easy Hawaiian Chicken Sliders are quick to make and so tasty. They are sweet, tangy, and perfect for any night of the week.
Crockpot Hawaiian Chicken
Instead of making individual sandwiches, sliders are a great way to make a meal for everyone all at once. This saves time, and they’re still so yummy! These little handheld sandwiches have bold flavors and can be customized to your preference.
It takes less than 30 minutes to put together if you are using the stovetop method. You can also use a slow cooker, and once all of the ingredients are added to the pot, you let it cook for several hours and then serve them on slider buns. I love making these for potlucks!
What You’ll Need
Here is a list of the ingredients you will need to make this tasty BBQ chicken sliders recipe.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: These will be cooked in the sauce in the slow cooker. If you are making the stove-top version, you can bake the chicken and shred/dice it or use a rotisserie chicken instead.
- BBQ Sauce: Any brand or flavor you prefer, but I usually go with the original flavor or smokey.
- Brown Sugar
- Pineapple Rings in Juice: You can find this canned.
- Soy Sauce: I like lite for this recipe for less salt.
- Garlic: Minced cloves, or you can use the jarred kind.
- Slider Buns
- Sesame Seeds: This is an optional garnish.
How to Make Hawaiian Chicken Sliders
There are two ways you can make these easy chicken sliders. It all depends on what you’re in the mood for! Both of these methods are super easy.
In the Slow Cooker:
- Step 1. Add the chicken breasts to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Step 2. Mix the BBQ sauce, brown sugar, juice from the pineapple can, soy sauce, scallions, and garlic in a small bowl. Pour over the top of the chicken.
- Step 3. Take half of the pineapple rings and cut them into chunks. Add them to the slow cooker.
- Step 4. Put the lid on the pot and cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. It’s ready when the chicken is fall-apart tender.
- Step 5. Remove the chicken and shred it with 2 forks. Then, remove all of the liquid except ¾ cup.
- Step 6. Add the shredded chicken and the remaining liquid back to the slow cooker.
- Step 7. Serve on slider buns immediately or add to a 9×13 baking dish. Top the sandwiches with the extra pineapple rings and brush the tops of the buns with melted butter.
- Step 8. Broil for 2-3 minutes then enjoy.
On the Stovetop:
- Step 1. Add the sauce ingredients (BBQ sauce, brown sugar, pineapple juice, soy sauce, scallions, and garlic) to a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Step 2. Cook until it bubbles and thickens, stirring occasionally. It will take about 5-7 minutes.
- Step 3. Toss shredded or diced cooked chicken in the sauce to coat.
- Step 4. Serve as is on slider buns or brush with melted butter and broil in the oven.
Tips and Tricks
- You enjoy these Hawaiian chicken sliders as is on buns or you can top with sesame seeds and melted butter and bake in the oven. Both ways are yummy. I enjoy the extra step in the oven because it adds texture to the bread.
- If you enjoy spice, add some diced jalapenos or green chiles for a little kick.
- Instead of enjoying this BBQ chicken on a sandwich, you can serve it over rice.
How to Store Leftovers
Leftovers of the shredded Hawaiian chicken can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container. You can reheat it in the microwave.
More Slider Recipes to Try
- Reuben Sliders
- Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders
- Chicken Minis (Chick Fil A Copycat)
- Breakfast Sliders
- Pepperoni Pizza Sliders
Hawaiian Chicken Sliders
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup bbq sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 20 ounce can pineapple rings in juice
- 1/4 cup lite soy sauce
- 4 scallions sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 12 Slider buns
- Sesame seeds optional
- Into the slow cooker add your chicken breasts.
- To a small mixing bowl combine the bbq sauce, brown sugar, juice from the can of pineapple, soy sauce, scallions and garlic.
- Cut half of the pineapple rings into chunks and add to the slow cooker too.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 4-6 hours until the chicken falls apart.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred with 2 forks.
- Remove almost all the liquid from the slow cooker excep for 3⁄4 cup.
- Add the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and toss in the remaining liquid.
- You can serve these right away on the slider buns or you can place the slider buns in the bottom of a 9×13, place the shredded chicken on the slider buns and top with the remaining pineapple rings.
- Place the tops of the buns and brush with a little melted butter and ad the sesame seeds and broil for a minute or 2.