Homemade Hostess Cupcakes for Valentine’s Day are a delicious treat for the holiday. These are so much like the original: chocolate cupcakes filled with yummy cream and topped with chocolate.
It’s almost Valentine’s Day! My kids and I are gearing up to make our favorite recipes for the holiday and to take to school parties. Along with these cupcakes we’ll be making Crinkle Cookies and Valentine Popcorn.
Homemade Hostess Cupcakes
We will be making three things for this recipe: cupcake batter, vanilla filling and chocolate ganache. Let’s get started!
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Soda
How To Make Homemade Hostess Cupcakes
These are super easy. Just mix your dry ingredients in one bowl, and beat the wet ingredients in another, then combine. Scoop the batter into a muffin pan and bake for about 15 minutes. Then, make the filling and ganache while the cupcakes cool.
- Powdered Sugar
- Heavy Whipping Cream
To make your filling, sprinkle the gelatin over a bowl of water and let it sit. Create a double-broiler by adding half a cup of water in a small pot on medium to high heat and placing the gelatin bowl over the pot. Stir until it’s all melted.
Then, beat the heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Add in the gelatin and beat again.
Cut a small hole in the top of the cupcake and fill with cream.
All you need for this is two ingredients: chocolate chips and heavy whipping cream. First, heat heavy cream over medium heat until it starts to simmer. Then pour it over the chocolate chips and allow it to sit. Then, stir it all up and you’ve got ganache!
Dip your cupcakes in the ganache while it is warm. Once it hardens you can use the rest of the filling you made earlier to pipe on the word love and squiggles.
Make these for Valentine’s Day for a festive treat or anytime! You don’t need a holiday to do some delicious baking in the kitchen.
Homemade Hostess Cupcakes
- 2 C sugar
- 1 ¾ C flour
- ¾ C cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 C buttermilk
- 1 C fresh brewed coffee
- ½ C canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 TBSP cold water
- 1 ¼ tsp unflavored gelatin
- 1 ½ C chilled heavy whipping cream
- ¾ C powdered sugar
- 2 disposable piping bags one fitted with a number 2 tip
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients:
- 1 C semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ C heavy whipping cream
- 1 Disposable piping bag
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners
- Using a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients
- Beat in buttermilk, coffee, oil, eggs and vanilla until combined
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners and bake in the oven for 15 minutes
- Allow to cool completely
- Using a small bowl, add the cold water
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water and allow to set for 10 minutes
- Using a small pot, add about ½ C water and place over medium to high heat
- Place the gelatin bowl over the pot
- Once stir until the gelatin is melted
- Using a standing mixer, beat the heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form
- Beat in the gelatin mixture until stiff peaks have formed
- Scoop some of the whipped cream batter into the piping bags
- Pipe cream into the centers of the cupcakes
- Using a small pot, heat up the heavy whipping cream over medium to high heat until slightly simmering
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl
- Allow to sit for 1 minute before whisking until smooth
- Dip the cupcakes into the chocolate ganache
- Allow to harden for a few minutes
- Using the filling with the tip, pipe out the words “Love” in cursive onto the top of the cupcakes as well as the traditional squiggle