This Italian Cream Cake recipe is going to take your sheet cake to a whole new level. A sweet vanilla base cake that is sweetened with coconut with pecans and topped with a fluffy cream cheese frosting, Italian Cream Cake is a decadent treat everyone will love.
I love the combination of coconut and pecans. If you do too, you will also love these Coconut Pecan Shortbread Bars
Italian Cream Sheet Cake Recipe
Pecans and coconut make such a great combination. When you add these to a delicious cake, it takes the cake over the top. Italian Cream Cake has the best cream cheese frosting, has coconut and pecans and is so easy to make because it is a sheet cake. That means you leave it in the same pan it bakes, frost the top and it is ready to serve.
Does Italian Cream Cake Need to be Refrigerator?
Yes. The cake itself doesn’t need to be refrigerated but because it is topped with a cream cheese frosting it needs to be keep cold. Most cakes are fine at room temperature but anything that has a cream cheese frosting needs to be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Can You Freeze This Easy Italian Cream Cake?
You can easily freeze this Italian Cream Cake. I like to cut the cake into slices before it is frozen. This makes it easy to only take a slice or two out at a time. Before moving the cake to an airtight container. I freeze it on a plate or baking sheet first. This hardens the frosting and that makes it so it does not stick to the plastic wrap. Once frozen, wrap each slice well with plastic wrap and then store them in a freezer bag. When you are ready to thaw a piece of cake, remember to remove the plastic wrap first so that the thawed icing does not stick to the plastic.
- Unsalted butter
- Baking soda
- Kosher salt
- Vanilla extract
- Shredded coconut
- Cream cheese
- Powder sugar
How to make an Italian Cream Sheet Cake Recipe
Grease a 9*13 inch baking pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees
In a medium bowl mix together the dry ingredients, flour, baking soda, and salt.
In a large bowl, using a mixer, beat together the butter and salt until it is light and fluffy.
Add one egg in at a time, beating well between each.
Beat in the vanilla.
Alternate between the dry ingredients and the butter. Add each slowly and mix well between each addition.
Fold in the coconut and pecans.
Remove the cake and allow it to cool completely.
Next, make the frosting.
Using a mixer, beat together the frosting ingredients except for the pecans and coconut, until smooth.
Spread the frosting evenly on top of the cake
Then top with the toasted coconut and pecans.
Italian Cream Sheet Cake
- 1 C unsalted butter softened
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 4 C powder sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 C toasted coconut
- 1 C pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease the a 9x13 baking dish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Beat in the eggs one at a time until combined
- Beat in the vanilla
- Alternate between the dry ingredients and the buttermilk and gradually mix until combined
- Fold in the Coconut and pecans
- Pour into the baking dish and bake for 17-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Remove and allow to cool
- Using a standing mixer, beat together all ingredients except for the coconut and pecans.
- Beat together combined and smooth
- Spread evenly on top of the cake
- Top with toasted coconut and pecans