These Scream Cupcakes are inspired by the movie Scream. These creepy and unsettling cupcakes are the perfect treat for Halloween!
Scary Movie Cupcakes
This recipe will be the talk of the party this Halloween! They are spooky and taste delicious! These cupcakes are simple to make and a great treat for a buffet or dessert table. This entire recipe is completely edible including the Scream face and knife.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
White Chocolate: You will use melted chocolate to fill in the molds for the Scream Faces and Knife.
Food Coloring Gel: You will need red and black food coloring to color in the molds.
Flour: I recommend using all-purpose flour for this recipe along with baking powder to help the cupcakes rise.
Sugar: You will need regular granulated sugar for the cupcakes and powdered sugar for the frosting.
Vanilla Silk Yogurt: This will not only help with the consistency of the batter but will also help add additional flavor.
Cream Cheese: When you combine cream cheese with butter and heavy cream it will create a super smooth and creamy frosting.
How To Make Scream Cupcakes
Step 1. In a heat-safe bowl, melt the white chocolate in the microwave and use it to fill in the face and knife molds. Place the molds into the freezer to chill for 10 minutes until set. Add 1 tsp of black food coloring into a small bowl and combine with 1/2 tsp of the melted chocolate and combine until fully incorporated. Use a small cookie brush to begin outlining the face and allow it to dry for 10 minutes and set aside.
Step 2. In a cup of white chocolate, add 1 drop of the black food coloring and fill the bottom of the mold to make the blade. The color should be gray. Add more drops of the black coloring to make the chocolate completely black before filling in the handle of the knife. Place in the fridge to harden.
Step 3. Add the Sugar, Milk, Oil, Yogurt, Egg, and Vanilla into the mixing bowl of a standing mixer and combine on low before mixing on medium until creamy. Add the Flour, Baking Powder, and Salt into another bowl and combine. Gradually combine the ingredients together on low until smooth. Use a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl and combine again until smooth. Put in 2-3 drops of the red food coloring into the mixture and combine until you have your desired shade. Use cupcake liners to line a 12-count muffin tin. Pour the batter 2/3 of the way into the liners before baking in the oven for 13-15 minutes at 350 degrees. Use a toothpick to check for doneness. Take out and transfer to a cooling rack.
Step 4. Add the Cream Cheese, softened Butter, Vanilla, and Heavy Cream into a mixing bowl of a standing mixer and combine until smooth and creamy. One cup at a time, add in the powdered sugar and combine after each addition until smooth. Make sure the frosting is thick and creamy! If it’s too thin, add 1/4 cup of powdered sugar at a time until you have the right consistency. Add the frosting into the piping bag with a large star tip and add a dollop of frosting in a swirling motion on top of the cupcakes. Bring the frosting to a point.
Step 5. Put the prepared faces into the frosting and add lines of rood coloring gel down the cupcakes for decoration. This will create a bloody look! Put the knives on top as well and repeat with the red food coloring to make the blood. Place the cupcakes into the fridge to chill until you are ready to serve. Enjoy!
How Long Do Scream Cupcakes Last?
These cupcakes can last for 3 days if kept at room temperature. They will last up to a week in the fridge and about 6 months in the freezer if stored correctly.
How To Store Scream Cupcakes?
Place the leftovers in an airtight container for the best storage method. You can store it in the fridge or freezer, but I recommend waiting to add the toppings until you are ready to serve. This way it will be easier to store.
More Halloween Recipes:
- 2 cups White Chocolate melted
- Black Food Coloring Gel
FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- 1 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tbsp Vanilla Silk Yogurt
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla
- Food Coloring Gel Red
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese softened
- 4 Tbsp butter softened
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 Tbsp Heavy Cream
- 4 – 5 cups Powdered Sugar
- Melt the White Chocolate in the Microwave, and fill the Scream Face Molds with the White Chocolate. Place in the freezer for about 10 minutes to quickly set the Chocolate. Place 1 teaspoonful of the Black Food Coloring Gel in a small dish, and mix in 1/2 a teaspoon of the melted White Chocolate, stirring well. Using a small cookie Brush (See Link) paint the outline of the Scream Face with the Black Food Coloring Gel/White Chocolate mixture. Let dry for about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Add one drop of the Black Food Coloring Gel to the cup of White Chocolate, and fill the bottom part of the mold, that would be the blade, with the Gray/White Chocolate. Add several more drops to the White Chocolate, making it Black, and fill in with the Black/White Chocolate, for the part that is the knife handle. Set in the refrigerator to harden.
Make the Cupcakes:
- In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, add the Sugar, Milk, Oil, Yogurt, Egg, and Vanilla, and mix on low until blended, then mix on medium, until creamy. In a separate bowl, place the Flour, Baking Powder, and Salt, and stir well to blend.
- Add the Mixer, and blend on low speed, until mixed, then turn up the mixer, and blend until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl, and blend again until completely smooth. Add about 2 or 3 teaspoons of the Red Food Coloring Gel to the Cupcake Batter, until you have the desired color of Red.
- Line a 12-count Muffin Tin with Cupcake Liners, and fill the liners 2/3 of the way full. Bake at 350 for 13 to 15 minutes, or until Cupcake is done, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven to a wire rack to cool.
While the cupcakes are cooling, make the Frosting:
- In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, place the softened Cream Cheese, softened Butter, Vanilla, and Heavy Cream, and mix until smooth and creamy. Add the Powdered Sugar about a cup at a time and blend well between additions. Scrape down the Mixing bowl, and blend until smooth.
- The Frosting should be thick and creamy. If you need to add a little more Powdered Sugar, add about 1/4 cup at a time until you have a thick and creamy Frosting.
- When the cupcakes are completely cool, place the Frosting in a Pastry/Piping bag with the large star tip, and Pipe the Frosting on the Cupcakes, using a swirling motion around the cupcakes and bringing the Frosting up to a point.
- Place the Scream White Chocolate Faces in the Frosting, and add the Decorative Red Food Gel in lines, down the Cupcakes, as though it was blood.
- Place the Knives on some of the Cupcakes, and add blood/Gel to those as well. Keep refrigerated until time to serve. Serve, and Enjoy!
- Molds for Scream Faces and Knife
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.