If you are looking for the most amazing Chocolate Mousse Cake that is in perfect portion sizes, you have to make these Chocolate Mousse Cupcakes. Rich, creamy, and simply perfection, these cupcakes are sure to win over even the pickiest dessert connoisseur.
Chocolate Mousse Cupcakes
Chocolate can be used to put a smile on anyone’s face. Do you have family or friends that love chocolate? well, this recipe for Chocolate Mousse Cupcakes is just for them and I am sure they will love you more for this awesome recipe. Prepare yourself for a melted gooey chocolate bite and watch your family and friends face light up with a bright smile.
Ingredients You Will Need
(full amounts in recipe box below)
- Triple chocolate cake mix- Using a cake mix will save time.
- Eggs- Use room temperature eggs.
- Unsalted butter- Use unsalted butter to control the amount of sugar in the recipe
- Powdered sugar- Powdered sugar is the best sugar for homemade buttercream frosting.
- Pure vanilla extract- Pure vanilla for best flavoring.
- Heavy whipping cream- This will be used in your ganache and in the mousse
- Mini chocolate chips- Full size can also be used in a pinch
- Oreos- This will be folded into your whipped cream.
- Whole milk- 2% milk can also be used.
How to Make Chocolate Mousse Cupcakes
Turn oven to 350 to preheat.
Using black cupcake liners, line your pan that your using for your cupcakes.
Add in the cake mix, butter, milk, into a medium bowl and stir until combined.
Until about 3/4 of the way full, fill your cupcake liners with batter.
For about 21 minutes, bake your batter in the oven.
Allow your cupcakes to cool after removing from oven.
Add the egg yolks, powdered sugar, and ⅓ heavy whipping cream into a sauce pan and cook on low heat until
it begins to thicken and when its about to double in size consistently whisk your mixture.
Remove your mixture from the heat and mix in the chocolate chips until completely melted.
At room temperature, allow your mixture to cool.
Beat the 1 ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream in a large bowl until stiff peaks form.
In the melted chocolate, whisk in ¼ cup of the whipped cream to lighten it.
In the piping bag, scoop ¼ cup of whipped cream, then set aside.
Gently fold all of your whipped cream into your chocolate mixture until combined.
Then fold in your crushed Oreo’s.
Chocolate Ganache directions
Bring the heavy whipping cream to a slow boil in a small bowl.
In a heat proof bowl, add in your chocolate.
Pour the hot heavy cream over the chocolate chips.
Let your mixture sit for 1 minute, then whisk until smooth.
Onto the top of the cupcake, scoop about ¼ Cup of the mousse and spread evenly.
Drizzle the ganache onto the mousse
Beat together the butter, powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla in a standing mixing bowl until smooth and stiff with peaks.
Scoop frosting into the piping bag
Put a dollop of frosting onto your ganache and sprinkle some mini chocolate chips onto it.
Makes approximately 22 Cupcakes
Does Chocolate Mousse Cake Need to be Refrigerated?
Because these cupcakes have chocolate mousse, you will want to store them in the refrigerator. You can also store them in the freezer if you want to make them last longer than they will in the refrigerator.
What’s the Difference Between Mousse and Ganache?
These chocolate desserts are made differently. Chocolate mousse is whipped to be light and airy with a lot of air bubbles. It can be thick and creamy or light and fluffy. Ganche is used like a glaze or icing and is poured over desserts.
More Delicious Mousse Desserts
Chocolate Mousse Cupcakes
- 1 box Triple chocolate cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 C softened unsalted butter
- 1 C whole milk
- 3 large Egg yolks
- 6 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 ⅔ Heavy Whipping cream
- 1 C semi sweet chocolate chips
- 5 crushed oreos
- 3 tbsp whole milk
- 1 C heavy whipping cream
- 2 C semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 C unsalted butter softened
- 4 ½ C powdered sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 - 6 Heavy whipping cream
- 1 C mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cupcake pan with the black cupcake liners
- In a medium bowl, add the cake mix, butter, milk, stir until combined
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake in the oven for about 21 minutes.
- Pull out the cupcakes and allow them to cool
- Using a medium sauce pan, mix together the egg yolks, powdered sugar, and ⅓ heavy whipping cream and place over low heat until it starts to thicken and almost is doubled in size while continuing to whisk consistently
- Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate chips until melted
- Allow to cool to room temperature
- In a large bowl, beat the 1 ⅓ Cup heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form
- Whisk ¼ Cup of the whipped cream into the melted chocolate to lighten it
- Scoop ¼ Cup of the whipped cream into the piping bag and set aside
- Scoop all the the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture and fold gently until combined
- Fold in the crushed oreos
Chocolate Ganache directions
- Using a small pot, bring the heavy whipping cream to a slow boil
- Place the chocolate chips into a heat proof bowl
- Pour the hot heavy cream over the chocolate chips
- Let sit for 1 minute before whisking until smooth
- Scoop about ¼ C of the mousse onto the top of the cupcake and spread evenly
- Drizzle the ganache onto the mousse
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the butter, powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla until smooth and stiff with peaks
- Scoop frosting into the piping bag
- Pipe a dollop of frosting on top of the ganache and sprinkle some mini chocolate
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
- Cupcake pan
- 1 medium piping bag with star tip
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.