These easy Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes feature all the flavors of traditional strawberry shortcake, with a vanilla cupcake base, fresh strawberries, and whipped cream. The perfect dessert for summer!
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
If you love traditional strawberry shortcake, then you’re going to love these strawberry shortcake cupcakes!
These cupcakes begin with a homemade vanilla cupcake base and are then layered with fresh strawberries, whipped cream, and a cupcake top. The layered look makes them appear quite decadent but they’re truly simple to make.
I love serving these for dessert in the summer as each cupcake is the perfect size for one person and the fresh summer strawberries make these taste even better.
Looking for more cupcake ideas? Be sure to try our strawberry crunch cupcakes! They offer up a similar flavor with a much different texture but are fun and easy to make.
Why You’ll Love This Cupcake Recipe
Here are a few reasons why you’ll fall head over heels for this strawberry shortcake cupcake recipe.
- All the flavors of strawberry shortcake. These cupcakes feature a tender vanilla cupcake base, fresh strawberries, and whipped topping, just like the classic dessert.
- Easy to prepare. Even though we’re making the cupcakes from scratch, this recipe is easy and made with pantry staples.
- Perfect for summer. This recipe is perfect for those fresh summer berries! And we love that each one is basically an individual serving, which is ideal for those summer BBQs.
What You’ll Need
These strawberry shortcake cupcakes are made with fresh strawberries and pantry staples. See the recipe card below for measurements.
- Butter- Use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Sugar- This sugar is always used in the best recipes.
- Eggs- Use the eggs at room temperature.
- Vanilla Extract- Use pure vanilla for the best flavoring.
- Flour- Use all-purpose flour for the best results.
- Baking Soda- This will allow the ingredients to rise in the oven.
- Milk- You will need to use whole milk for this recipe.
- Heavy Whipping Cream- This will help with the consistency of the whipped topping
- Powdered Sugar- This will be added to the whipped topping.
- Strawberries- They will need to be washed, dried, and sliced
Can These Be Made with Frozen Strawberries?
This recipe can be made with frozen strawberries. However, I do recommend using fresh strawberries for the recipe for the best-enhanced flavor. Using fresh ingredients is always the best option for the best results.
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
This strawberry shortcake dessert comes together quickly and easily. Just be sure to prepare the cupcakes with enough time for them to cool completely.
- Make the cupcake batter. Line the cupcake pan with liners. Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then beat in the eggs on at a time, followed by the vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda. Alternative adding the dry ingredients and milk to the butter mixture, beating until the batter is smooth and combined.
- Bake the cupcakes. Fill each liner 3/4 full. Bake for 21 minutes, until the cupcakes are a light golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Make the whipped cream. Beat the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Scoop the whipped cream into a piping bag.
- Prepare the strawberries. Chop about 1/2 cup of the sliced strawberries into smaller pieces.
- Prepare the cupcakes. Cut the tops off from 12 of the cupcakes and discard the bottoms or eat them separately.
- Assemble the cupcakes. To assemble your strawberry shortcake cupcakes, pipe a ring of whipped cream on top of the other 12 cupcakes. Add a few sliced strawberries. Top with the cupcake top, then finish with another dollop of whipped cream and some chopped strawberries. Enjoy!
Tips for Success
Here are a few helpful hints for making this strawberry shortcake cupcake recipe.
- Don’t overbake the cupcakes. If needed, insert a toothpick in the center – if it comes out clean, the cupcakes are ready. They should also have a light golden brown color. Overbaking will lead to dry cupcakes.
- Avoid overmixing. For the dense but light texture of shortcake, it’s important to not overmix the batter. Once it’s smooth and all ingredients are combined, you’re good to go!
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely. It’s important that the cupcakes are completely cool before adding the whipped cream. Otherwise, the topping can melt. You may even want to consider making them a day in advance!
Can These Cupcakes Be Prepared in Advance?
I do not recommend assembling the cupcakes more than an hour or two in advance. However, you can absolutely bake the cupcakes a day or two in advance. I often bake the cupcakes the night before and assemble them the next day.
Once the cupcakes have cooled, just keep them in an airtight container on the counter for 1-2 days, then assemble the cupcakes are usual.
Due to the whipped cream icing and fresh berries, these strawberry shortcake cupcakes need to be kept in the refrigerated. They are best when enjoyed within 1-2 days, as the strawberries may start to “bleed” and the whipped cream topping will melt.
More Strawberry Desserts
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
- Strawberry Crumb Bars
- Strawberry Lemon Bars
- Easy Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
Butter Cake ingredients
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with cupcake liners
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time until combined
- Beat in the vanilla
- Using a large bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda
- Alternate between the milk and dry ingredients and gradually beat both ingredients into the batter until combined and smooth
- Scoop batter into the cupcake liners, filling the cupcake liners about ¾ full
- Bake in the oven at 21 minutes until a light golden brown
- Remove and allow to cool completely
- Using a standing mixer, beat the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla until stiff peaks form
- Scoop the whipped cream into the piping bag
Building the cupcake directions
- Scoop about ½ C of the sliced strawberries onto a plate and chop them into smaller pieces
- Remove 12 cupcakes from the cupcake liners
- Cut the tops off the cupcakes and discard the bottoms (Or eat)
- Using the other 12 cupcakes, pipe a ring of whipped cream onto the top of the cupcakes
- Place a few sliced strawberries on top
- Place the cupcake top that you had cut, on top of the strawberries and whipped cream
- Pipe another dollop of whipped cream on top
- Spoon about 1 tsp of the chopped strawberries on top