Once you try our Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix you’ll never want to get store-bought hot cocoa mix again! Our hot chocolate recipe is incredibly easy, rich and creamy with the perfect chocolatey flavor.
The Best Hot Cocoa Recipe
It’s time to get those mugs of hot cocoa going! I adore this time of year when we can all sit outside or on the couch and snuggle with a warm, delicious cup of hot cocoa. How many people still go to the store and buy tiny individual packets for hot chocolate? Did you know it is very easy to make your own. Skip those water downed expensive hot chocolate packs and make your own. It is so simple and fun to make.
Now let’s talk about these fun cute snowmen floating in the hot cocoa. It’s one thing to throw some mini marshmallows in the hot cocoa but why not have these fun guys floating. These floating snowmen will be made weekly by the kiddos. Such a fun way to really brighten up hot cocoa. You can make these snowmen or you can make my favorite hot cocoa snowman.
Another way we love to serve hot cocoa is our Hot Chocolate Charcuterie Board. You add this hot chocolate mix to a large board full of everyone’s favorite toppings. Such a fun way for everyone to create their own flavors.
Key Ingredients to Make Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
Powdered milk- Powdered milk is the base of the hot chocolate mix. You can find powdered sugar in the baking aisle with the other shelf stable milk products.
Confectioners sugar- using powdered sugar instead of regular sugar helps the sugar to dissolve easier.
Chocolate-You will be using several chocolate in this recipe- Unsweetened cocoa powder, white chocolate and milk chocolate. I recommend using Ghirardelli. You want to use high quality chocolate for this recipe.
Powdered coffee creamer- Powdered coffee creamer adds some additional flavor to this recipe.
Can I use different types of chocolate bars?
It is easy to change the type of chocolate bar when making this hot chocolate mix. You can use milk chocolate for some and then use dark chocolate for those who like a richer flavor. I like to use milk chocolate for the kids and then use a dark chocolate for myself.
How to make Homemade Hot Chocolate
Step 1- Combine the Ingredients
Combine the cocoa ingredients together in a bowl then move it to an airtight container.
Step 2- Make Hot Cocoa
Make the hot chocolate by adding the cocoa to a cup of hot milk.
How to make a cup of hot cocoa
When you are ready to make a single cup of hot chocolate using this hot chocolate mix, you will want to add 2 large tablespoons of the hot cocoa mix to 1 cup of hot milk. Stir until it is dissolved and enjoy.
We also love to make Hot Cocoa in the Slow Cooker. Our Crock Pot Hot Chocolate recipe is so thick and creamy!
How do you get the chocolate bar so finely chopped?
You can chop the chocolate bar with a knife but it is hard to get it that fine. I like to use a food processor when possible. It can also be chopped finely using a fine grater.
How to Store the Hot Cocoa Mix
You want to make sure to store the homemade hot chocolate mix at room temperature in an airtight container. Store it in a mason jar or other container with a lid. Another option is to keep in a ziplock bag.
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
Hot Cocoa Mix
- 2 cups powdered milk
- 2 cups confectioners sugar powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder I highly recommend Ghirardelli
- ½ cup white chocolate bar finely chopped
- ½ cup milk chocolate bar finely chopped
- ¼ cup powdered coffee creamer
- Large Marshmallows
- Pretzel Sticks ultra thin
- Orange Jelly Beans
- Chocolate Syrup
- Black Food Gel
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together, powdered milk, confectioners sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, white chocolate, milk chocolate, and powdered coffee creamer.
- Store hot cocoa mix in a tightly sealed container.
- When ready to make a cup of hot cocoa add 2 tablespoons of mix into a hot cup of milk.
- Stir mix into the hot milk until mixed. Serve and enjoy.
- To make floating snowmen- grab 3 large marshmallows and a pretzel stick, insert a pretzel in the middle of two (the body), add another pretzel stick and add the top (head) of the snowman to create the full body.
- Now add arms and legs by inserting pretzels on the sides of the body and the bottom for the legs.
- In a small dish add a tablespoon of chocolate syrup and a drop of black food gel. With a toothpick dip into the syrup and then apply the syrup to the snowman to create the eyes, mouth, and buttons.
- Finally cut jelly beans in half and then trim the sides to create a triangle. Apply to create the nose and your snowman is now ready to float.