There’s nothing quite like the taste of key lime pie, and these Key Lime Truffles are a fun way to enjoy the beloved summer dessert. Made with real key lime juice and covered in a crispy graham cracker crumbs, these easy truffles are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. Best of all, they’re bite-sized so you can enjoy them without guilt.
Key Lime Truffles
What more can you ask for than a tart, sweet, and delicious key lime pie in a truffle form.
These truffles are the perfect bite-sized dessert that are perfect for Summer. They’re also made with real key lime juice so you know they’ll taste just like the classic dessert.
- Heavy whipping cream – This is one of the key ingredients in the filling. It makes it rich and creamy.
- Sweetened condensed milk – Sweetened condensed milk adds sweetness and adds a richness to the truffles.
- White chocolate chips – The white chocolate chips are melted into the filling and this adds so much to the truffles: sweetness, creaminess and helps to hold things together.
- Key Limes– You will need both the juice and the zest for the recipe
How to Make Key Lime Truffles
In a pot on the stove, combine the heavy cream, milk and zest and bring to a simmer.
Remove from the heat and set it aside for 30 minutes to allow the zest to steep in the cream.
Place the mixture back on the stove and bring it to a simmer. Then whisk in the white chocolate chips and lime juice until smooth.
Place the mixture in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place it in the fridge to let it firm up.
Use a spoon and scoop out some of the truffle mix and form it into a ball.
Roll in the graham cracker.
How to Store Key Lime Pie Truffles
The truffles need to be kept cold. Place them in an airtight container and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 2 week.
These truffles can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Can I Use Regular Limes Instead
You can use regular limes in this recipe, but the key limes do have a distinct flavor that is worth seeking out.
If you can’t find key limes, you can use regular limes. The flavor will be slightly different, but they will still be delicious.
What is the Best Way to Zest a Lime
The best way to zest a lime is with a microplane. It will remove the zest without taking any of the bitter white pith with it.
If you don’t have a microplane, you can use a zester or even a grater. Just be careful not to grate too deeply.
More Truffle Recipes
- Margarita Truffles
- Peppermint Truffles
- Brownie Truffles with Cherries
- Nutter Butter Truffles
- White Chocolate Orange Creamsicle Truffles
Key Lime Truffles
- Using a medium pot over medium heat, combine the heavy whipping cream, sweetened condensed milk, and lime zest
- Bring the mixture to a simmer
- Remove from heat and set aside for 30 minutes to allow the lime zest to steep into the cream Place the mixture back onto the stove and bring the mixture back to a simmer Whisk in the white chocolate chips and lime juice until smooth
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and cover with cling wrap and place into the fridge and allow to firm up
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out some truffle and roll into a ball
- Roll the truffle into the crushed graham cracker
- Repeat until all truffle batter has been rolled into little balls