A rich and creamy Peppermint Truffles that is easy to make and perfect for the holidays! These delicious treats are perfect for gift giving or enjoying yourself. Delicious cake, covered in chocolate and covered in sprinkles, what could be better.
Tasty Peppermint Chocolate Chip Truffles
These peppermint truffles are little bites of deliciousness. They are so easy to make. Make them for a gift idea, buffet table or for a holiday party. Of course, you can make extras for yourself. Everyone will love them, so be sure to keep the recipe one hand because you will make them year after year.
Important Ingredients You Will Need to Make Peppermint Truffles
- Cake- I am including a homemade cake recipe but if you like, you can use a cake mix as well. I often use cake mix when I am short on time, but there is nothing better than a made from scratch cake.
- Peppermint Flavoring- Don’t skip the peppermint. That brings the Christmas season flavors into this recipe.
- Red Food Coloring Gel- The red food coloring is to give the festive look to the inside of these peppermint truffles. This is a step you can skip if you prefer, but it certainly makes the truffles look beautiful.
- Pink Frosting- Frosting brings the cake together for the truffle. You can make your own or your can use store bought. Either will work for this truffle recipe.
- Mini Chocolate Chips- You want to use mini chips in this recipe because you are adding them into the truffles as well as melting them. The regular size chips are a bit large for the truffles. if you only have the regular size ones, you can chip them down for the truffles.
- Sprinkle Mix- You can go simple with the sprinkles or you can use small festive ones. Either will work for these peppermint truffles.
- Peppermint Candy Canes- These candy canes are going to be crushed up to add to the topping of the truffles. You can use full size candy canes or you can use the small size ones. If you can not find candy canes, you can use the peppermint candies.
Can I use peppermint extract instead of flavoring?
Yes, you can use peppermint extract instead of the flavoring. The extract should be pure for the best result. The peppermint extract will provide the same result and outcome.
How to Make Peppermint Truffles
Step 1- Wet Ingredients.
Add the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and peppermint into the mixing bowl of a standing mixer and combine until light and fluffy.
Step 2- Dry Ingredients.
Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and powdered sugar into another bowl and combine until fully incorporated. Pour the mixture into the wet ingredients while switching with the milk and combining after each addition until smooth.
Step 3- Additional Wet Ingredients.
In the mixing bowl, add in the sour cream, heavy whipping cream, and vegetable oil and combine until smooth and creamy.
Step 4- Food Coloring.
In the mixing bowl, add 10-12 drops of the red food coloring and combine until the desired color is reached. Put in more food coloring if desired until you have a bright red.
Step 5- Baking.
Pour the batter into a greased and floured 8×11-inch baking dish. Put the baking dish in the oven for 45 minutes to bake at 350 degrees until a toothpick comes out clean of batter. Take the cake out of the oven and transfer it to a wire rack.
Step 6- Topping.
On a cookie sheet with edges, pour the sprinkle mix, crushed candy canes, and sprinkles.
Step 7- Forming the Truffles.
Use your fingers to break the cake up into crumbles when cooled. Put in the pink frosting, and chocolate chips and fold to combine using a spatula.
Step 8- Dipping.
In a medium bowl, melt 2 cups of the milk chocolate and heat in the microwave until melted. (if the chocolate is too thick, add milk, and mix well to thin it out) Use your hands to roll the cake into balls and use a fork to dip into the melted chocolate.
Set the coated truffles onto parchment paper and top with the sprinkle mix right away.
Let the chocolate harden before serving. Enjoy!
How to Store Peppermint Truffles?
You will first need to place the truffles in an airtight container for the best storage method. You can store the recipe at room temperature, in the fridge, or in the freezer to make them last the longest.
Can Peppermint Truffles be frozen?
Yes, these peppermint truffles can be frozen. You will need to place the truffles into an airtight container before storing for the best storage method.
More Truffle Recipes:
- 2 1/2 cups of Flour
- 3 teaspoons of Baking Powder
- 2 cups of Sugar
- 2 1/2 cups of Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon of Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of Peppermint Flavoring
- 1/2 cup of Vegetable Oil
- 3/4 cup of Butter – Softened
- 1 Tablespoon of Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 1/4 cup of Milk
- 1/2 cup of Sour Cream
- Red Food Coloring Gel
- 1 can of Pink Frosting
- 1 cup of Mini Chocolate Chips
TO DIP TRUFFLES
- 1 bag of Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Chips – 23 ounce
- 1 Tablespoon of Milk – if needed
TO TOP OR DECORATE:
- Sprinkle Mix
- Peppermint Candy Canes
- In the mixing bowl of a Stand Mixer, mix the Eggs, Sugar, Vanilla, and Peppermint until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, mix the Flour, Baking Powder, Salt, and Powdered Sugar, until well blended.
- Add the flour mixture in the mixing bowl, alternating with the Milk, mixing between additions, until all flour and milk is added, and smooth.
- Add the Sour Cream, Heavy Whipping Cream, and Vegetable Oil, and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add about 10 – 12 drops of the Red Food Coloring into the mixing bowl, and mix until blended.
- Add more Food Coloring if needed, until you get a bright red-colored cake batter.
- Grease and Flour an 8 X 11-inch dish, and pour the cake batter into the dish. Place the dish in the oven at 350 degrees, for 45 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the dish from the oven to a wire rack to cool.
- Pour Sprinkle Mix out on a Cookie sheet with edges, and break Peppermint Candy Canes into crumbs, and add to Sprinkles – to sprinkle on top of Truffles.
- When Cake is cool, take a spoon and break the cake up into crumbs, breaking apart with your fingers, until you have crumbs.
- Add the can of Pink Frosting, and the Mini Chocolate Chips, and stir all together, until well mixed.
- Melt 2 cups of Milk Chocolate in the Microwave, in a medium bowl. If the chocolate gets too thick, add milk, and stir well to thin.
- Roll the cake mixture into small balls, and place the ball on a fork, and dip into the chocolate, and place on Parchment Paper, and immediately Sprinkle with Sprinkle Mix.
- Allow Chocolate to set, or harden, for about an hour.
- Place on a tray, or festive plate, serve, and Enjoy!