Lemon Cream Cheese Danish Recipe
This Lemon Cream Cheese Danish recipe is a scrumptious breakfast with the taste of fresh lemon, the richness of cream cheese, and the fluffiness of wonderful puff pastry.
Lemons are the cheeriest of fruits, don’t you think? That’s what I’ve decided, anyway. I’m a big fan of lemons in cooking and in every sip of tea I ever take. If lemon danish brings a smile to your face, you absolutely can’t miss our Lemon Blueberry Sweet Rolls. They are to die for. And these Lemon Blueberry Donuts? Oh my gosh.
Make all three of these for weekend guests or for a family who has been really good all week and deserves something special.
Lemon Cream Cheese Danish Recipe
The danish you get in your grocery store’s bakery section can’t hold a candle to making your own. So, take the cream cheese out of the refrigerator and let it sit on the counter to soften. You’re about to make something truly delightful.
Danish Recipe – What is Lemon Curd?
Lemon curd is made from eggs, sugar, juice from real lemons, and real butter. It’s delicious! This recipe calls for prepared lemon curd, so either make yours ahead of time or buy it already made in the store.
To make your own, combine 3/4 cup of sugar, 1 TBSP of grated lemon rind, 2 large eggs, and cook on medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture is light in color.
Add in 2/3 cup of lemon juice (from real lemons, please), and the butter. Mix the ingredients well and cook on low until it’s thick, whisking constantly to make it super smooth. It takes about 10 minutes to make. You can put it in a Mason Jar (or other containers) and keep it in the refrigerator.
You can eat it on all sorts of things, like cookies, pound cake, and lots of other goodies.
Make Your Own Powdered Sugar
This recipe calls for 1/4 cup powdered sugar. If you’re all set to make a recipe like this one and you’re all out of powdered sugar, you can make your own in a flash.
All you need to do is put plain, white sugar in a food processor and whirl it until it turns into fluffy, white powdered sugar.
So easy, right?
Lemon Cream Cheese Danish
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 17.3 ounce package puff pastry
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup prepared lemon curd
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, vanilla, sugar and lemon juice.
- Gently flour your clean work surface, and unfold the puff pasty.
- Using your fingertips, gently press the creased areas flat. Use a rolling pin if necessary.
- Use a cookie cutter or glass to cut out 4 circles.
- Repeat steps 4-6 with the remaining sheet of puff pastry.
- Place circles onto baking sheet.
- Gently score border about ½-1 inch inside each puff pastry circle.
- 10. Using a fork, poke several times inside each of the circles.
- 11. Spread cream cheese mixture into each circle, keeping inside the boarder.
- 12. In a small bowl, mix together egg and water until frothy.
- 13. Brush the border of each with egg mixture.
- 14. Bake for 18-21 minutes or until golden brown.
- 15. Allow to cool for 10 minutes on baking sheet.
- 16. Heat lemon curd in the microwave for 25 seconds, then spoon on top of each danish.
- 17. Sprinkle a pinch of lemon zest and dust with powdered sugar prior to serving.