Lemon Hand Pies are miniature flaky pies with a sweet and tangy lemon curd filling in the middle. These delicious individual lemon pies can be made in the air fryer or baked.
Air Fryer Hand Pies
This recipe is a great beginner recipe for baking in the air fryer. These pies are so delicious and are filled with sweet and sour flavors. Lemon is a fruit that is great on hot summer days, so this recipe is perfect for any outdoor occasion. We also show you have to bake these lemon hand pies in the oven.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Lemon Curd: You can use store bought, but we highly recommend making our homemade lemon curd – it’s so easy.
Glaze: Powdered Sugar, Milk and lemon zest are combined for a delicious glaze.
Crust: You will need pre-made refrigerated pie crust for this recipe. You can make you on homemade pie crust if you would like.
How To Make Lemon Hand Pies
Step 1. In a small bowl, add the egg with 1 tbsp of milk and combine. Add the powdered sugar, 1 tsp of lemon zest, and the rest of the milk into another bowl and whisk to combine until you have a glaze. Set aside. Prepare the crust by cutting it into 4-inch circles. Use the scrapes to roll into a ball and roll out again for additional 4-inch circles. Put in 1 big tbsp of the lemon filling into the middle before folding into a half circle. Use a fork to crimp the edges of the pie to seal. Use a pastry brush to dip into an egg wash and lightly brush the top of each pie crust.
Step 2. Use cooking spray to lightly grease the air fryer. Place a few of the hand pies into the air fryer basket to cook for 5 minutes at 360 degrees. You will want to work in batches and not overcrowd the fryer. After the 5 minutes is up, flip the hand pies and cook for another 4-5 minutes or until golden brown and fully cooked. Transfer to a wire rack when done to cool while repeating the process until all the pies are made.
Step 3. Drizzle the prepared glaze from earlier on top of the pies or use a pastry brush to coat the pies with the glaze. Allow it to harden before serving. Enjoy!
Can Lemon Hand Pies Be Made Into A Normal Sized Pie?
Yes! You can indeed make this recipe into a larger size. You will need to prepare the filling and crust. Bake the recipe at an adjusted time, depending on the size of the pie you need.
Do These Lemon Hand Pies Use Real Lemons?
Yes! Filled with all things lemon! This recipe uses our homemade lemon curd and also uses lemon zest. It also uses additional lemon zest for more flavor!
- Swap out the store bought crust for my Homemade Pie Crust recipe if you want to make these extra special.
- Chill the baked hand pies before serving for best results.
- You can sprinkle the outside with powdered sugar instead of lemon glaze if you prefer.
More Lemon Recipes:
Lemon Hand Pies (Air Fryer or Baked)
- Beat the egg with 1 tablespoon of milk in a small bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, a teaspoon of lemon zest, and remaining milk to create a glaze, and set aside.
- Cut 4-inch circles out of the pie pastry. Save the pastry scraps and roll them out with a rolling pin to create additional circles.
- Scoop 1 heaping tablespoon of lemon curd filling into the center of each circle and fold over to create a half circle.
- Seal the pastry by crimping the edges with a fork or with your hands.
- Lightly brush the top of each hand pie with the beaten egg wash.
Air Fryer Instructions
- Spray the air fryer with cooking spray.
- Working in batches, place several hand pies in the air fryer and cook at 360F on the air fry setting for 5 minutes, flip the hand pies and cook for another 4-5 minutes, or until the lemon hand pies are a light golden brown and cooked through. Set aside hand pies to cool on a wire rack and repeat with the remaining pies.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Remove pie crusts from package and allow to come to room temperature while you prepare filling.
- Once the pies have cooled, drizzle or brush the lemon glaze across the outside of the hand pies. Allow the glaze to set before serving, enjoy!