If you have never made lemon curd or had something that had lemon curd in it, then you are missing out. Homemade Lemon Curd is one of the easiest and most delicious things you can make. You can use lemon filling for all types of desserts, and it adds so much to it.
Homemade Lemon Curd
This lemon filling is so good and easy to make. This homemade recipe only uses a handful of ingredients to make it. Two of the main ingredients in this recipe contain egg and lemon juice. Lemon curd is a chunky, tangy, and sweet consistency. If you want to make desserts that use this, then you will want to try out this Lemon Curd Cake or this Homemade Lemon Cake.
- Sugar– Every great dessert uses sugar as an ingredient.
- Lemon Zest– Be sure to zest your lemons before juicing them
- Butter– Use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Egg– Use these at room temperature.
- Lemon Juice– Use freshly squeezed lemon juice for the best-enhanced flavor.
How to Make Lemon Curd
To start, add the sugar, zest, and butter into a medium bowl, and combine until creamy.
First, one at a time add in the eggs and combine until smooth.
Secondly, one at a time, add in the egg yolks and combine until smooth.
Thirdly, add in the lemon juice and combine.
Next, in a large pot, add in the mixture over medium to high heat and bring to a simmer.
Continuously mix for 10 to 15 minutes or until it begins to thicken.
After, take away from the heat and use a mesh strainer or cheesecloth to strain the mixture.
To finish, add the lemon curd into jars and allow it to cool thoroughly before putting the lid on top to seal, then place it into the fridge.
Serve over toast, croissants, or cookies, and enjoy!
What is the difference between lemon curd and lemon pie filling?
Lemon curd is made with fresh lemon juice, while lemon pie filling is made with a mixture of water and lemon concentrate. Curd is also usually thicker than lemon pie filling.
How long does homemade it last?
Since homemade does not have the same preservatives as store bought, it will last about 2 weeks in the refrigerator. Make sure to store it in an airtight container. I like to use a mason jar but any container with a tight lid will work.
Can I freeze lemon curd?
Yes, you can freeze it. Place it in a freezer safe container and it will last for up to 3 months. Thaw it overnight in the fridge before using.
Do I need to use lemon zest?
Yes, you need some use zest for this recipe. This recipe specifically uses zest and fresh juice to give it the brightest flavors. Make sure to zest to your lemons before juicing them.
My lemon filling won’t thicken, what can I do?
If you’re having trouble thickening your filling, there’s an easy way to fix this. You will want to start off by slightly heating the mixture and then adding more butter. Adding the extra butter helps the mixture firm up as it cools.
More Lemon Recipes:
- Lemon Chess Pie Recipe
- Strawberry Lemon Easy Chess Pie
- Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
- Lemon Meringue Cheesecake
Homemade Lemon Curd
- 2 C Sugar
- 6 Large Lemons zested
- 1 C Unsalted butter softened
- 8 Large Eggs
- 2 Large Egg Yolks
- 1 ½ C Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- Using a medium bowl, beat together the sugar, lemon zest, and butter until combined and creamy
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time until combined and smooth
- Beat in the egg yolks one at a time until combined and smooth
- Beat in the lemon juice until combined
- Pour the mixture into a large pot over medium to high heat and allow the mixture to simmer
- Stir constantly for about 10 – 15 minutes or until the mixture starts to thicken to pudding-like
- Remove and strain through a mesh strainer or cheesecloth
- Spoon the lemon curd into the jars and allow to cool completely before placing the lids on and placing them into the fridge
- Enjoy on toast, croissants, or thumbprint cookies!