lemon Thumbprint Cookies
Lemon Thumbprint cookies will melt in your mouth. These soft sugar cookies topped with lemon curd are perfect for a holiday or because you are craving an amazing cookie. Use homemade lemon curd or store bought in these delicious lemon cookies.
Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
If you love thumbprint cookies, you are going to love these lemon thumbprint cookies. The sugar cookie dough of the cookies is sweet and crisp and it pairs perfectly with the tart lemon curd in the filling.
- Butter-You’ll want to make sure the butter is room temperature.
- Eggs- You will use one egg and 1 egg yolk.
- Granulated sugar- Cookies always need sugar.
- Vanilla- Always use pure vanilla for the best flavor.
- Flour- You want to use all purpose flour for this recipe.
- Salt- Salt brings out the flavor in baked goods.
- Lemon curd- This is what will give the lemon flavor to the cookies.
How to Make Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
Cream the butter and sugar together using a hand mixer.
Add in the egg and then add the vanilla.
Cream it together until it is light and fluffy.
Add the flour and salt in the bowl.
Mix it together slowly and then once the flour is combined take the cookie dough out of the bowl.
Roll the cookie dough into 1 inch balls and place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Use your index finger or a spoon make a small indent into each cookie dough ball.
Place the cookie sheet in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake the cookies for 10 minutes.
Remove the cookies and fill the indents with the lemon curd and bake for another 6-8 minutes until the cookies are golden brown.
What Filling Goes in Lemon Cookies?
For the filling in these lemon thumbprint cookies is lemon curd. This adds the lemon to these cookies. You can use homemade lemon curd or make your own.
Do Thumbprint Cookies Need to Be Refrigerated?
You want to make sure that you refrigerate the cookies before you bake them. Once the cookies are baked, you will not need to refrigerate the cookies. You can store them at in an airtight container on the counter.
More Cookie Recipes
- Homemade Banana Pudding Cookies
- Thick Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Watergate Cookies (6-ingredients)
- Best Ever Rocky Mountain Cookies
- Reese’s Pieces Peanut Butter Cookies
Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
Ingredients for the cookies:
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 large egg at room temp
- 1 large egg yolk at room temp
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup lemon curd
- Lemon Zest optional
- Grab a cookie sheet and line with parchment paper
- In a large-sized bowl, cream the butter and sugar using a hand mixer on medium
- Then mix in the egg and egg yolk till combine
- Next, add the vanilla extract and continue to cream with hand mixer on medium until mixture becomes light and fluffy
- Now, add the flour and salt in the bowl
- Using the hand mixer, start slow then move to medium until the flour is fully combine
- Roll the cookie dough into 1 inch balls and place on the cookie sheet that was lined with parchment paper
- With your index finger or the back of tbsp measuring spoon, make a small indent in each cookie dough ball
- Make space in the fridge and place the cookie sheet in to chill for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees at the last 10 minutes
- When times up, place cookies in the oven to bake for 10 minutes
- Clean the hand mixer whisks while the cookies bake, you will need to use them again for the glaze
- Remove the cookies from the oven and if any of the indents filled in, carefully make new indents for the lemon curd
- Now, place a 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp of lemon curd in the indents of each cookie
- Return the cookie sheet back to the oven and bake for another 6 to 8 minutes or until the bottom of the cookie is a light golden brown
- Pull cookies out of the oven and allow the cookies to cool completely
- Sprinkle lemon zest on top (if preferred).