Loaded Mashed Potato Cakes are the most amazing side dish you will ever try. Whether you are looking for ways to use leftover mashed potatoes or you are craving the crispy, buttery, cheesy cakes, one bite of these and you will want to make them all the time.
Loaded Mashed Potato Cakes
We make mashed potatoes a lot. It is one of those side dishes that are easy to make and goes with just about everything. Sometimes, I over estimate how much I need and we have leftovers. That is when I make these loaded mashed potato cakes. Everything from loaded mashed potatoes that are then pan fried to get a crispy outer covering.
- Mashed potatoes– This is a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes.
- Sharp cheddar cheese– You want to use shredded cheese
- Flour– The flour works to bind the potato cakes together.
- Eggs – will hold everything together.
- Bacon- You will need about 6-8 pieces.
- Red onion- Dice the red onion into small pieces.
- Garlic-Mince the garlic into small pieces
- Salt, Pepper, and Fresh Parsley- This is to season the potato cakes.
How to Make Loaded Mashed Potato Cakes
Fry the bacon until it is crispy.
Remove all but 2 tbsps of bacon grease and cook the onions and garlic.
Allow to cool and then chop the bacon.
In a bowl, mix together the mashed potatoes, cheese, flour, eggs, bacon, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and parsley.
Heat a skillet with oil cooking spray.
Use the ice cream scoop and add the mixture to the pan.
Press down the patty slightly and cook 3-4 minutes on each side until it is golden brown.
Continue until all of the mixer has been cooked
Enjoy with sour cream, green onions, or hot sauce!
Can You Make These with Instant Potatoes?
If you do not have leftover mashed potatoes you can use Instant Mashed Potatoes. These potatoes are often seasoned which helps to make the potatoes cakes taste amazing.
Variations of Loaded Potato Cakes
Anything that you like in your potatoes can be used in these loaded potato cakes. You can even add things like ground beef, shredded chicken or salsa to the potatoes.
What to Serve With Potato Cakes
- Southwest Chicken Wrap
- Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
- Garlic Butter Steak Bites
- Slow Cooker Dr Pepper Ribs
Loaded Mashed Potato Cakes Recipe
- Fry up the bacon strips till crispy and drain on a plate of paper towels
- Pour 2 tbsp bacon grease into another frying pan and cook the onion and garlic until translucent
- Allow to cool slightly
- In a large bowl, fold together the mashed potatoes, cheddar cheese, flour, eggs,chopped bacon, cooked onion and garlic, salt, pepper and parsley. Mixing until combined
- Heat a medium skillet and spray with pam oil cooking spray
- Using the ice cream scooper, scoop some of the mixture into the pan
- Lightly press down with a flat spatula and cook for about 3-4 minutes on both sides until lightly golden brown
- Remove from skillet and place onto a plate
- Continue until all of the mixer has been cooked
- Enjoy with sour cream, green onions, or hot sauce!
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.