These incredible Loaded Tater Tots are now a go-to appetizer in my house. The crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside tater tots are topped with crispy bacon and a cheesy sauce.
Loaded Cheese Tots
Loaded tots are such a delicious and fun appetizer to serve for any occasion. These super addictive tots are simple and only use a few ingredients to make them. You can use frozen tater tots and pile them high with an easy homemade cheese sauce and top with all types of things like bacon, sour cream, and green onions.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Tater Tots: I like to use frozen tater tots because it saves me time. But, if you are up to it, you can try making your own homemade tots.
Bacon: I like my bacon CRISPY and crunchy. It is not only the best tasting, but the texture is a must for loaded tots.
Sour Cream: I like to add a dollop of sour cream on top of my tots to give it a super creamy texture.
Green Onions: You can use these to garnish your recipe. I love green onions in and on my tots.
Butter: It is best to use unsalted butter for this recipe. Using unsalted butter will give you control of the flavoring in the recipe. This will allow the rawest and natural flavor to come out in the recipe.
All-Purpose Flour: Use all-purpose flour to get a really thick consistency for the cheese sauce.
Milk: Use whole or 2% milk for this recipe. It will not only help with the consistency, but it adds additional flavor.
Cheddar Cheese: Cheddar is my go-to cheese for this sauce, but you can use mozzarella too.
Seasonings: Season the loaded tots with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste.
How To Make Loaded Tater Tots
Step 1: Follow the frozen tater tot directions and bake on a sheet pan in the oven. Cook the bacon on a skillet until you reach your desired crispiness, then allow it to cool before cutting into crumbles.
Step 1: Put the butter into a small saucepan and melt on medium-high heat before putting it in the flour. Heat the mixture and continue to stir for another minute or until light brown.
Step 2: Gradually add in the milk and whisk to combine for about 4 minutes. Take it off the heat and put in the shredded cheese 1/4 cup at a time. Use a wooden spoon to combine before adding the seasonings. Make sure to taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings as needed.
Step 3: Put the cooked tots onto a serving plate and top with the cheese sauce and bacon. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with green onions. Enjoy immediately!
How To Store Loaded Tater Tots?
You will need to place the recipe in an airtight container for the best storage method. These are best kept in the fridge or in the freezer to last even longer.
Tips & Tricks For Making Loaded Tater Tots:
Here are a few great tips and tricks to making the best homemade loaded tots with ease:
- Keep track of the time! The key to getting the best taste and texture is watching the timing of the recipe. While making baking the tots, you can cook the bacon and begin making the cheese cause. Once ready, you can immediately start loading them up to have the warmest, cheesiest, and most delicious tater tots.
- Squeeze bottles are a game changer! I love using them for my sour cream to avoid making a mess and have the perfect amount on top of my tots.
- Do you not have time? If so, instead of making the cheese sauce, you can add some freshly grated or shredded cheese on top of the tots and broil the tots for a minute or two. Make sure to watch though, just so that the cheese doesn’t burn.
- Seasonings! I love seasoning my tater tots before making them add more flavor. You can season with things like onion powder, garlic, old bay, paprika, salt, pepper, and more.
More Tater Tot Recipes:
- Taco Tater Tot Casserole
- Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
- Mexican Tater Tot Casserole (15-Minute Prep)
- Easy Tater Tot Casserole
Loaded Tater Tots
- 1 bag tater tots frozen
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- sour cream and green onions for serving
- Bake tater tots according to package directions on a sheet pan.
- Cook bacon slices to desired crispness allow to cool and then crumble.
- Make the cheese sauce. In a small saucepan on medium-high heat melt the butter.Add the flour and cook for 1 minute or until slightly golden, stirring to combine.
- Next, slowly add the milk and whisk to thicken. Cook for about 4 minutes untilthickened.
- Remove the pot with the milk mixture from the heat. Add the grated cheese about a¼ cup at a time stir with a wooden spoon to combine. When all the cheese has beenincorporated add the spices. Taste the sauce and adjust the spices to your taste.
- Assemble your tater tots on a plate and pile them on your toppings. Start with the cheese,bacon, sour cream, and then the green onions, and enjoy immediately!