Make this delicious Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole when you want a delicious cheesy cheeseburger casserole. This casserole is true comfort food and is going to become one of your family’s favorite meals.
Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
Oh my, this tater tot casserole is so good, you could eat half the dish by yourself. It’s different than the other recipes that use soup, or broth, and the flavor is just wonderful. It’s easy to make, and it’s crunchy, and a little gooey with the cheese, and really delicious. Everyone will love this, so make sure you keep it in your favorites.
- Ground Sirloin- You might also call it ground beef
- Onion- You can use your favorite type of onion whether it is a white, yellow or red
- Seasoning: I like to use garlic salt, seasoned salt, seasoned pepper
- Garlic- Mince the garlic yourself or buy it preminced to save time
- Friday’s BBQ sauce- This is my favorite brand of sauce but you can use whatever you like
- Tater Tots- I like to buy the generic version to save money
- Shredded Colby Jack cheese- You can also use cheddar cheese
How to Make a Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
Line a prepared 9*13 with tater tots. Bake it for 15 minutes at 375 degrees.
Meanwhile cook the ground beef with the seasonings until it is no longer pink.
Drain the meat.
Add the onion to the empty skillet and until it is golden brown.
Add the ground sirloin back in and mix it together. Add the minced garlic and some of the BBQ sauce.
Remove the tater tots from the oven and add the meat mixture over top.
Add more BBQ sauce and then add cheese.
Cover it with the rest of the tater tots and bake for 25 minutes at 375 degrees.
Can I Make This Ahead as a Freezer Meal?
I love making freezer meals. this is one of my favorites. Because it is inexpensive and easy to make, I like to make 2 batches at the same time. One for dinner and one for the freezer. I like to freeze it before I bake it that way it doesn’t taste dried out afterwards.
What do I Serve with Tater Tot Casserole?
Because this recipe has the meat and potatoes right in it all you need to add is some vegetables. Some of our favorites are
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- Easy Antipasto Skewers Appetizer
- Classic Green Bean Casserole
- Black Bean and Corn Salad
- Instant Pot Mexican Street Corn
Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
- 2 pounds ground Sirloin
- 1 medium onion chopped
- Garlic salt to season
- Seasoned salt to season
- Seasoned Pepper to season
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 jar Friday's BBQ sauce
- 2 pound bag of Tater Tots
- 2 cups Shredded Colby Jack cheese
- Grease a 9 X 13 dish with butter, and line the bottom of the dish with frozen tater tots. Place the dish in the oven on 375 degrees for about 15 minutes.
- While the tater tots are in the oven, place the ground sirloin in a heavy bottomed skillet, and sprinkle with garlic salt, seasoned salt, and seasoned pepper, and cook until completely done, browned, and no pink is visible.
- Remove the Sirloin to a plate lined with paper towels, to drain any fat from the meat. Add the onion to the skillet, and cook until golden brown. Add the sirloin back to the skillet and mix with onion. Add garlic, and stir well. Add about 1/2 of the jar of Fridays BBQ sauce, and stir altogether.
- Add the BBQ sirloin mixture to the dish, and smooth evenly over the smashed tots.
- Add additional bbq sauce (about 1/2 a cup) over the top of the sirloin. Add the cheese on top of the bbq/sirloin, and cover the sirloin with the rest of the tater tots, to top the dish.
- Cook for 25 minutes at 375 degrees, or until the tater tots are golden brown and crunchy.
- Remove the tater tots from the oven (after about 15 minutes - or when golden brown) and smash the tater tots in the dish, to form a crust on the bottom.
- Remove dish from oven, (sprinkle with additional cheese while dish is hot, if desired), cool slightly, serve and Enjoy!
- Makes approximately 8 - 10 servings - 3 X 4 inch servings