These Adult Mexican Hot Chocolate bombs are a great twist of hot cocoa bombs with Tequila. This recipe is simple with a few optional steps to make it even more delicious.
Mexican Hot Chocolate Bombs with Tequila
These Mexican Hot Chocolate Bombs are a wonderful burst of chocolatey goodness. This recipe is so simple and easy to make and they come out sculpted in spheres topped with spices. This recipe is a little different because it is Mexican style using Tequila and spices. This is a great option for any occasion to share with your adult loved ones, so be sure to save this one.
If you like these hot cocoa bombs, check out these Rum Chata Hot Chocolate Bombs!
What You’ll Need
- Chocolate chips- You will need to use semi-sweet and bittersweet chocolate chips.
- Jose Cuervo Gold Silver- This will be used for the main alcohol in the recipe.
- Chocolate melting wafers- You will need to use the Ghirardelli Milk chocolate flavor.
- Hot cocoa mix- You will need to use Mexican style mix.
- Marshmallows- You will use mini marshmallows to fit inside the bomb.
- Chili powder- This will give the chocolate bombs a slightly spicy and smokey flavor.
- Cayenne pepper- This will be added on top for garnish.
Supplies – Chocolate Bomb Mold
How to Make Mexican Hot Chocolate Bombs
Add water to a small pot and bring to a simmer.
Put a heat-safe bowl on top of the pot.
Put the semisweet and bittersweet chocolate chips in the heat-safe bowl and melt and combine.
Add the condensed milk and tequila and whisk to combine.
Place the mixture into a fridge for 3 hours until firm and hard.
Using a small pot, fill halfway with water and bring to a simmer.
Scoop some of the ganache up using a small ice cream scooper and form into a ball. This is your truffle.
Prepare a paper-lined sheet and place the molds on and place them back into the fridge while you prepare the cocoa spheres.
This part is 100% optional and a personal choice:
Take out your molds and slice them in half. It seemed easier for me to control the mold while working with the melted chocolate.
Clean the inside of the molds using a paper towel or kitchen towel. This will let the spheres have a shiny coat.
Place into a heat-safe bowl and add the rest of the melting wafers and melt in the microwave in 45-second intervals. Make sure to mix after each interval until smooth and combined.
Start adding the chocolate into the mold using a spoon.
Gently swirl the chocolate to fully coat the inside.
Put the molds in the fridge for 5-10 minutes.
Take out and begin to remove the silicone mold gently.
Gently put the molds onto a cookie sheet. Repeat with the rest of the molds.
Add some chocolate into a piping bag and place it aside.
Now that you have half-spheres, gently melt the open side of the molds on a pan to create a smooth edge.
Put back onto the sheet and allow to harder.
Building the cocoa bomb:
Add 1 tbsp of Mexican cocoa mix into the bottom of one sphere.
Put one tequila truffle in the middle.
Add some marshmallows around the truffle.
Add some chili powder and cayenne pepper powder on top.
Put the top mold back on the pan to melt for a couple of seconds and carefully press onto the other half.
Cut the prepared piping bag and drizzle the chocolate on top.
Add some more cayenne and chili powder on top.
Let the spheres set and then, enjoy with a glass of hot milk.
What is the Difference Between Mexican Chocolate and Regular Chocolate?
This Mexican Style Hot Cocoa is different from normal Hot Chocolate. Mexican Chocolate is made with different types of spices and the instructions are a bit different. Regular Chocolate is simple chocolate without any type of spices like cayenne or chili powder.
Can I Make These Without Alcohol?
These Hot Cocoa Bombs are made with Tequila. If you decide that you want to enjoy this with your kids or just don’t like Tequila that is ok. You can easily take out the alcohol and the recipe will still taste delicious.
More Adult Treats
- Boozy Sherbet Punch Recipe
- Bourbon Balls Recipe
- Strawberry Lemonade Jello Shots
- Amaretto Eggnog Cocktail
Adult Mexican Hot Chocolate Bombs
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate chips
- 5 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tbsp Jose Cuervo Gold Silver
- 1 – 30 oz Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate melting wafers
- 2 C Mexican hot cocoa mix
- 1 C mini marshmallows
- ¼ C chili powder
- ¼ C cayenne pepper
- Using a small pot, fill halfway with water and bring to a simmer
- Place a heat-safe bowl on top of the small pot
- Combine the chocolate chips and allow to melt completely in the bowl
- Whisk in the sweetened condensed milk and tequila until combined and thick
- Place into the fridge for about 3 hours to harden
- Using a small ice cream scooper, scoop out some ganache and mold it into a ball
- Place onto a wax paper-lined cookie sheet and back into the fridge while you make the cocoa bombs
Making the Cocoa Bombs
- This part is 100% optional and a personal choice:
- Cut the silicone molds so that each sphere mold is by itself as shown in the IP image. I did this because I felt it was easier to control the mold when working with the melted chocolate.
- Use a paper towel or clean kitchen towel and wipe the inside of the silicone molds. This will allow your chocolate mold to have a shiny coat on it.
- Using a heat-safe bowl, pour into the bowl and place the remaining of the Ghirardelli melting wafers in the microwave for 45-second intervals. Make sure to stir the chocolate after every 45 seconds until completely melted and smooth
- Using a spoon, spoon about 1-2 tbsp of the chocolate into the mold
- Carefully swirl the chocolate to completely coat the inside of the mold
- Lightly shake the extra chocolate back into the bowl
- Place the coated molds into the fridge for 5-10 minutes
- Remove from the fridge and gently peel the silicone mold back away from the hardened chocolate shell
- Carefully place the mold onto the cookie sheet
- Repeat steps with remaining molds
- Scoop some melted chocolate into the piping bag and set aside
- You should now have 8 half-sphere molds
- Carefully take the open side of the sphere and place it onto the pan to melt off the uneven edges to create a smooth edging
- Place the shell back onto the cookie sheet and allow the edge to harden
Building the cocoa bomb:
- Scoop about 1 tbsp of the Mexican hot cocoa mix into the bottom of the sphere mold
- Place a piece of tequila truffle in the center
- Place a few mini marshmallows around the truffle
- Sprinkle a pinch of the chili powder and cayenne pepper powder onto the marshmallows
- Place the top of the shell back onto the warm pan to melt the edges for a few seconds
- Quickly place the melted edges onto the filled shell and gently press down
- Cut the tip off the piping bag and drizzle over the cocoa bombs
- Sprinkle some more of the chili powder and cayenne pepper powder onto the chocolate
- Allow setting before enjoying in an 8oz glass of steamed milk!
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.