These Mint Chocolate Chip Donuts are perfection in a simple and easy dessert. Bake, not fried, these donuts are a fabulous treat for breakfast or for a weeknight dessert. So simple to make, you will be making homemade donuts often.
Looking for another simple donut recipe? You will also love Baked Strawberry Donuts.
Mint Chocolate Chip Donuts
If you love fresh donuts, then you have to make these mint chocolate chip donuts. With a delicious mint flavor and green color, these donuts are perfect for St. Patrick’s Day. Make a large batch for St. Patty’s Day breakfast or make them as a special dessert. No matter when you enjoy these Mint Chocolate Chip Donuts, you are sure to love them.
Ingredients You Will Need
(full amounts in recipe box below)
- Mini chocolate chips
- Baking powder
- Kosher salt
- Whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- Unsalted butter
- Mint extract
- Mint green food coloring
- Semi sweet chocolate chips
- Heavy whipping cream
How to Make Mint Chocolate Chip Donuts
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare the donut pan by spraying the holes with baking spray.
In a bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
In another bowl, mix together the milk, eggs, butter, mint and food coloring.
Slowly mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients together.
Fold in the mini chocolate chips and then scoop the batter into a piping bag.
Pipe the batter into the donut spaces.
Bake the donuts in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the donuts are slightly golden brown
Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool for 5 minutes, then move the pan to a wire rack.
Next, make the Chocolate Ganache
In a pot, heat the whipping cream until it is steaming.
While the cream is heating place the chocolate chips into a heat safe bowl.
Once the cream is hot, pour it over the chocolate chips. Let it sit for 1 minute.
Then whisk it together until it is smooth.
Pour the ganache over the donuts and let it set for 3 minutes.
Add mini chocolate chips and let the ganache set.
Can These Chocolate Chip Donuts be Made Vegan?
While these donuts can be considered vegetarian, they contain milk, butter, and milk chocolate. You can make these donuts vegan bu substituting these ingredients for vegan friendly versions, like almond milk, vegan butter, and vegan chocolate chips. To replace the animal products in the ganache, you can substitute the heavy cream with soy milk and olive oil or use a vegan frosting.
Do These Donuts Need Icing?
While these donuts can be enjoyed without the chocolate ganache, I think they taste that much better when they are topped with the icing. If you do not want to top them with a chocolate ganache, you can also make a powdered sugar glaze or top them with a small amount of buttercream frosting.
Other Donut Recipes You Will Love
Mint Chocolate Chip Donuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 6 cavity donut pan with pam baking spray
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and whisk until combined
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, butter, mint extract and green food coloring
- Gradually whisk in the dry ingredients into the wet until combined
- Fold in the mini chocolate chips
- Scoop into disposable piping bag
- Cut the tip off and pipe batter into the donut cavities
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until slightly golden brown
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes
- Remove from pan and place onto the wire rack
- Using a small pot, heat up the heavy whipping cream until steaming
- While heavy whipping cream is heating up, place chocolate chips into a heat-proof bowl
- Once the heavy whipping cream is heated, pour over the chocolate chips
- Allow to sit for 1 minute before whisking until smooth
- Pour over the donuts
- Allow ganache to set for 3 minutes
- Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips on top
- Allow the ganache to set before enjoying !