Make your own Mozzarella Cheese Sticks for the best tasting snack or treat. With only 6 ingredients, and oil to fry it in, it is incredibly easy to make fried cheese. One bite and you will be in melted cheese heaven.
Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
If you love mozzarella fried cheese, you have to try this Fried Cheese Recipe. It is so much better than you will even get from a frozen product and the whole family will love it. These are the tastiest snacks you will ever make.
- String cheese- You can use your favorite string cheese brands or flavors
- Panko breadcrumbs – Panko crumbs give the best crunch
- Seasonings – Garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper
- Egg- The egg is used to help make the crumbs stick.
- Buttermilk – Buttermilk is mixed with the egg to make the eggwash.
- All-purpose flour- Flour combines to make the fried cheese coating
- Oil- Whatever oil you like to fry in.
- Dips- You can use ranch dressing or marina sauce
How to Make Fried Cheese Sticks
Combine the breadcrumbs and seasoning in one bowl.
- In another bowl, add the flour.
- Combine the egg, salt, pepper and buttermilk on another bowl.
- Dip the cheese stick into the egg mixture, then the flour and then back into the egg mixture and then into the breadcrumbs.
- Place it in the hot oil and cook for about 2 minutes until it is golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
How to Bake Cheese Sticks
I personally think homemade cheese sticks have the best results deep fried. Frying keeps the outside super crispy. However, you can also bake these and even use the air fryer which saves on some calories.
- Baked Cheese Sticks: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray the coated cheese with cooking spray. Bake about 10 minutes or until the outside is crisp and cheese is melted on the inside.
- Air Fryer Cheese Sticks: Preheat air fryer to 400. Air fry the coated cheese in small batches for about 5 minutes or until the outside is crisp and cheese is melted on the inside.
What Cheese is Best to Fry?
Any type of cheese stick will work. You want a cheese that will melt well, like mozzarella or cheddar. You can also make these with pepper jack cheese.
What Dipping Sauces go with Homemade Cheese Sticks?
You can use whatever you like as a a dipper. Many people like to use marinara or ranch as a dipper for fried cheese. You can also use salsa or spicy mustard.
More Appetizer Recipes
Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
- Add about 2 inches of oil to heavy skillet and heat to 350 degrees F.
- Add breadcrumbs, garlic powder, Italian seasoning to shallow bowl or plate and mix with fork.
- In another shallow bowl or plate, add flour.
- In a small bowl whisk together egg, salt, pepper and buttermilk, then add to shallow bowl or plate.
- Dip cheese stick into egg mixture, then into flour, back into the egg mixture and then into the breadcrumbs. Press crumbs into cheese gently.
- Add to hot oil and cook for about 2 minutes or until golden brown, turning frequently.
- Serve immediately!