Homemade hummus is so easy to make with this Instant Pot Hummus recipe. Turn pressure cooked garbanzo beans into creamy, flavorful hummus in a snap!
Instant Pot Hummus Recipe
We love hummus! It’s the perfect snack or lunch side with crunchy pita chips or crisp carrot sticks. Even better that hummus is so portable and so makes a great lunchbox food or fun road treat. How do you like to eat hummus?
Buying hummus at the store is always great, but make it at home is so simple, much cheaper, and you can be more in control of the ingredients. Win, win, win!
Here’s what you’ll need to make the Instant Pot Hummus Recipe (the exact measurements and full recipe instructions are below in the printable recipe card):
- Dry garbanzo beans
- Fresh garlic
- Fresh lemon juice
- Tahini paste – tahini is sesame paste
- Olive oil – use a good quality, extra-virgin olive oil
- Ground cumin
How to Make Hummus In The Instant Pot
To make the hummus, you’ll need an Instant Pot or another brand of easy to use pressure cooker.
Add the water, garbanzo beans, and two peeled whole cloves of garlic to the Instant Pot. Close the lid and turn the valve to sealing, then set the pressure to high and pressure cook for 40 minutes. Once the cooking time is finished, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release the pressure for 30 minutes before you turn the valve to the pressure release position then open the lid after you’re sure all the pressure has dissipated. Remove the cooked garbanzo beans from the Instant Pot and reserve about a cup of the cooking liquid. This cooking liquid is perfect for thinning the hummus to your desired consistency.
In a blender or food processor, add the tahini, minced fresh garlic, and freshly squeezed lemon juice, and blend until well combined.
Next, add half of the cooked garbanzo beans, half of the olive oil, and a tablespoon of the cooking liquid and blend until smooth.
Finally, add the remaining cooked garbanzo beans, the remaining olive oil, salt, and cumin and blend until smooth. Test the consistency of the hummus and if needed, add more of the cooking liquid until the hummus is creamy and at the right consistency based on your personal preference.
Scoop the hummus into a serving bowl and top with a dash of smoked paprika and extra virgin olive oil.
How to Eat Hummus
There are so many ways to enjoy hummus! Here are some of our favorites:
- Pita chips
- Soft pita
- Baby carrots
- Celery sticks
- Bell pepper sticks
- On a salad
- As a sandwich condiment
Here are some great ideas for other toppings for your hummus:
- Caramelized onions
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Oven roasted garlic cloves
- Roasted red peppers (chopped)
How to Store the Hummus
Keep your hummus in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
More Recipes You Will Love
Instant Pot Hummus Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup dry garbanzo beans
- 6 cups water
- 4 cloves fresh garlic 2 just peeled, 2 peeled and minced
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup tahini paste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pour the beans, water, and two of the garlic cloves (peeled) into the Instant Pot. Cover with the lid and set the vent to sealing. Set to high pressure for 40 minutes.
- Once the garbanzo beans are finished pressure cooking in the Instant Pot, allow the pressure to release naturally for 30 minutes; the beans will continue to cook during this time.
- After the pressure has released, open the Instant Pot. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid to add to the hummus later. Remove the cooked garbanzo beans and garlic from the Instant Pot and strain off the excess water.
- To a blender or food processor add the tahini paste, two cloves of garlic (peeled and minced), and the lemon juice; puree until smooth.
- Add half of the cooked beans, 1 tablespoon of the reserved cooking liquid, and about half of the olive oil; blend until smooth.
- Add the salt, cumin, remaining beans and the remaining olive oil; blend until smooth.
- Taste the hummus and adjust the seasonings. If the hummus is too thick, continue adding more of the cooking liquid until your desired consistency is reached.
- Pour the hummus into a serving bowl and top with olive oil and smoked paprika as garnish if desired.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
- Blender or Food Processor