One Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta
This One Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta recipe is easy to prepare and cooks up in under half an hour. It’s a great weeknight meal for busy families on the go. This dinner has such amazing flavor and is so simple, it lets you have a homecooked meal, no matter how busy you are.
Chicken Parmesan Pasta
This Chicken Parmesan Pasta is the perfect set up of ingredients for such great flavor and deliciously soft and delectable texture. Made with Penne pasta, this recipe is loaded with seasonings, cheeses, sauce, and tender chicken. You can get creative and serve guests a pasta buffet by making a ton of different kinds of pasta like this Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi Pasta and Creamy Bow Tie Pasta Salad.
- Olive Oil- You can substitute vegetable or canola oil.
- Chicken- This chicken will need to be boneless and skinless.
- Onion- You can use a yellow or white onion and it will need to be diced.
- Garlic- You can mince your own fresh garlic or by pre-minced.
- Water- This will be used to cook your Penne pasta.
- Pasta Sauce- This will be used for the main sauce added to the pasta.
- Pasta- You will be using Penne Pasta or other pasta if desired.
- Cheese- You will nee parmesan and mozzarella cheese both grated.
- Seasonings- You can use fresh Basil and Oregano to garnish if desired.
How to Make Chicken Parmesan Pasta
Add the Olive oil into a large oven-safe skillet and place on medium-high heat.
Dice up the chicken, and onions and add into the skillet. Saute this ingredient until the chicken is cooked and the onions become soft and clear (cook about 5-6 minutes)
Put the minced garlic into the skillet and cook for another 1-2 minutes until it becomes fragrant. Cook the chicken and garlic until it becomes a golden brown, but watch so that the garlic that doesn’t burn.
Pour in your water and pasta and gently push the pasta down until it is completely under the water.
Bring all the ingredients in the skillet to a boil. Keep the heat medium to high.
When it begins to boil, turn the heat down to low, then cover the lid. Cook for about 15 minutes.
Turn on the oven and switch it to a broil setting.
Check the penne to make sure it is fully cooked. Make the pasta el dente.
Put in 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese and mix to combine.
Add some more cheese by sprinkling the rest of the parmesan cheese and mozzarella on top of the pasta.
Next, the pan goes into the oven under the broiler. You want to melt the cheese until it is bubbling and have a golden brown color.
Add a bit of chopped fresh basil and oregano.
Serve right away and enjoy!
What cheese for Chicken Parmesan Pasta?
The most popular cheese is obviously Parmesan Cheese. This recipe uses two types of cheese for this pasta. You will mix in parmesan, and then add the rest of the parmesan and mozzarella on top of the recipe.
Are Panko Breadcrumbs Necessary?
While some recipes call for panko breadcrumbs either on the chicken or over the pasta to give it some crunch, I am not using them in my recipe. This is a personal choice.
More Pasta Recipe:
- Air Fryer Pizza Pasta Recipe
- Slow Cooker Olive Garden Chicken Pasta
- Meatball Pasta Bake
- BLT Pasta Salad Recipe
One Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced (about1 pound)
- 1 cup finely diced white or yellow onion about ½large onion
- 1-2 teaspoons minced garlic about 2 cloves
- 1 ½ cups water
- 8 oz. penne pasta
- 16 oz. jar of pasta sauce
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese about 2 oz.
- 1 ½ - 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese about 4 oz.
- Fresh basil and oregano for garnish
- In a large oven-safe skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add diced chicken breast and diced onion and saute until chicken is opaque and onions are soft and translucent (about 5-6 minutes).
- Add the minced garlic to the pan and saute for 1-2 minutes longer until garlic is fragrant. Chicken and garlic can brown lightly, but be careful that the garlic does not burn.
- Add the water and pasta to the skillet and press the pasta down to submerge as much of the past under the water as possible.
- Pour the pasta sauce over the mixture, spreading it evenly to cover any pasta that is still dry.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
- When the mixture reaches a boil, reduce the heat to a low boil, and cover with a lid. Cook for 15minutes.
- Turn the oven on to the broil setting.
- Remove the lid and confirm that the pasta has cooked through (simmer a bit longer if the pasta is not cooked to your liking). Stir in ½ cup of parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese and the mozzarella cheese over the surface of the cooked pasta.
- Place the pan under the broiler until cheese is melted and bubbling with a bit of golden brown (about2 minutes).
- Sprinkle with a bit of chopped fresh basil and oregano and serve immediately