Keep this perfect Chicken Rub Recipe on hand to prepare chicken with a delicious kick of flavor. So easy to mix up and keep in a jar, this recipe will be your go-to dry rub for chicken and pork.
This chicken seasoning is the best when you don’t have a lot of time or energy to cook dinner. Just rub the spice mixture generously on chicken legs, thighs, quarters, or breasts, then set aside to rest while you heat the grill. Grill up the chicken and add any simples side dishes you like. Dinner is served! This recipe is also wonderful on pork.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Chicken Spice Rub (the exact measurements and full recipe instructions are below in the easy to print recipe card):
Brown sugar – the brown sugar adds a mild sweetness to the rub. Use light or dark brown sugar.
Paprika – the paprika makes the seasoning a bright red that looks almost like BBQ sauce after the chicken is cooked.
Kosher salt – use regular kosher salt or coarse salt.
Ground black pepper – the pepper is best if you can grind it fresh.
Cayenne pepper – this is optional, but adds a nice heat.
How to Season Chicken
Add all of the spice rub ingredients to a medium mixing bowl.
Simply stir it all together until well combined, and you’re ready to use the chicken spice rub!
Variations for Chicken Seasoning
More Heat – if you love a very spicy dry rub, add more cayenne pepper to taste.
Less Heat – prefer a mild version? Leave out the cayenne.
Smoky Flavor – if you’re a fan of a smoky flavored spice rub, try using smoked paprika instead of regular.
How to Store the Chicken Rub
Store the dry rub in an airtight food storage container or a jar with a lid at room temperature for up to 6 months.
How to Use Dry Rub for Chicken
- Generously season chicken or pork.
- Set the meat aside to rest for 30 minutes before cooking the meat.
- Grill or roast the meat until done.
More Recipes You Will Love
- Loaded Chocolate M&M Cookies
- Taco Seasoned Crackers
- The Best Banana Pudding Recipe
- Crockpot Crack Chicken Recipe
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup paprika
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients until well combined. Store the dry rub in an airtight food storage container at room temperature for up to 6 months.
To use the rub:
- Season chicken or pork with dry rub and set aside for 30 minutes before cooking the meat.