Keep this perfect Chicken Rub Recipe on hand to prepare chicken with a delicious kick of flavor. So easy to mix up and keep in a jar, this chicken seasoning recipe will be your go-to dry rub for chicken and pork.
Dry Rub for Chicken
This chicken seasoning is the best when you don’t have a lot of time or energy to cook dinner. Just rub the spice mixture generously on chicken legs, thighs, quarters, or breasts, then set aside to rest while you heat the grill. Grill up the chicken and add any simples side dishes you like. Dinner is served! This recipe is also wonderful on pork.
Chicken recipes are a dinner favorite, and a delicious chicken seasoning makes all the difference when it comes to preparing tender, flavorful chicken. I love using a dry rub when seasoning any meat – it makes all the difference! Homemade spice blends are so easy to make and allow you to control the amount of salt and flavors without any preservatives.
Check out these other delicious ways to prepare chicken: Sheet Pan Chicken Dinner | Crispy Chicken Tenders | Easy Cranberry Chicken | Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Chicken | BBQ Chicken Quesadilla
This chicken seasoning is perfect for any cut of chicken, including chicken breasts, chicken thighs, chicken tenders, chicken drumsticks, or when cooking a whole rotisserie chicken, such as our oven roasted chicken. Here’s what you’ll need to make Chicken Spice Rub (the exact measurements and full recipe instructions are below in the easy to print recipe card):
Brown sugar – the brown sugar adds a mild sweetness to the rub. Use light or dark brown sugar.
Paprika – the paprika makes the seasoning a bright red that looks almost like BBQ sauce after the chicken is cooked.
Kosher salt – use regular kosher salt or coarse salt.
Ground black pepper – the pepper is best if you can grind it fresh.
Cayenne pepper – this is optional, but adds a nice heat.
How to Season Chicken
- Add all of the spice rub ingredients to a medium mixing bowl.
- Simply stir it all together until well combined, and you’re ready to use the chicken spice rub!
Variations for Chicken Seasoning
- More Heat – if you love a very spicy dry rub, add more cayenne pepper to taste.
- Less Heat – prefer a mild version? Leave out the cayenne.
- Smoky Flavor – if you’re a fan of a smoky flavored spice rub, try using smoked paprika instead of regular.
How to Store the Chicken Rub
Store the dry rub in an airtight food storage container or a jar with a lid at room temperature for up to 6 months.
How to Use Dry Rub for Chicken
- Generously season chicken or pork.
- Set the meat aside to rest for 30 minutes before cooking the meat.
- Grill or roast the meat until done.
Other Seasoning Recipes You Will Love:
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup paprika
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients until well combined. Store the dry rub in an airtight food storage container at room temperature for up to 6 months.
To use the rub:
- Season chicken or pork with dry rub and set aside for 30 minutes before cooking the meat.