This Robin Egg Cake is an easy delicious cake that shouts spring. This cake is perfect for spring and Easter. Serve it as a dessert or use it as part of your family Easter brunch.
Robin Egg Cake
When the robins show up in March, you know it is springtime. This Robin’s Egg nest cake is such a pretty blue, like the color of robin eggs. This vanilla cake is moist and delicious. This cake is easy to decorate but it looks like it was a complicated masterpiece.
- Vanilla cake mix – I like to use cake mix to save time when making layer cakes. You can use your favorite vanilla cake recipe instead.
- Canola oil
- Baking spray
- Unsalted butter – I always recommend using unsalted butter because you can not control the salt in the recipe with salted butter.
- Powdered sugar
- Pure vanilla extract – You should use pure vanilla extract rather than imitation vanilla.
- Heavy whipping cream
- Sky Blue and Brown gel food coloring
- Toasted coconut – If you do not have toasted coconut but you have regular coconut, you can toast the coconut yourself.
- Speckled whopper egg candies
How to Make a Robin Egg Homemade Layer Cake
Preheat the oven and prepare the cake pans with Pam Baking Spray.
Mix together the cake ingredients together and then divide the cake batter between the 3 pans.
Bake the cake between 28-32 minutes or until the cake is done.
Let the cake cool completely.
Use the cake leveler to remove the cake domes and make the cakes level.
Make the Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Mix together the ingredients for the frosting. Mix it together until it is smooth and forms stiff peaks.
Add in a few drops of sky blue food coloring and mix until combined in.
Place the first cake layer on the cake board and scoop about 1 cup of frosting onto the cake.
Spread the frosting evenly over the cake.
Place the next layer on and spread it evenly with 1 cup of frosting.
Place the last layer of cake on top and then frost the entire cake.
Once the cake is frosted, add 1 cup of frosting to the center of the cake to create a mound for the nest.
Carefully place the toasted coconut on the top and the sides of the mound.
How to Get the Speckled Look on the Cake
Stir 1/4 tsp brown food color together with 2 drops of water.
Dip the tip of the brush into the mixture and then flick the brush onto the brush to get a splattered effect.
Gently place a few of the speckled malted eggs onto the top center of the nest!
Cut and enjoy!
How do I Make Even Cake Layers?
When you are making cakes that have layers, you want to make sure that the layers are even. Using a cake leveler makes it easy and efficient to slice the cake. If you do not have a cake leveler, you can use a long serrated knife.
What is the Best Food Dye For Cake?
Whenever I use food dye I prefer to use gel food dye. You can add a small amount of dye to get brighter colors and unlike liquid food dye, there is no bad taste from using too much dye and it does not thin frosting.
More Layer Cake Recipes
- Mint Chocolate Chip Layer Cake
- Layered Cherry Coke Cake
- Bailey’s Irish Cream Layer Cake
- Layered Cannoli Cake Recipe
- Patriotic Layered Cake
Robin Egg Cake
- 2 box Vanilla cake mix
- 6 large egg
- 2 C water
- 1 C Canola oil
- Pam baking spray
- 2 C unsalted butter softened
- 5 C powdered sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3-6 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- Sky Blue gel food coloring
- 3 C toasted coconut
- 1 C speckled whopper egg candies
- Brown gel food coloring
- 3 9inch round cake pans
- 3 10inch round cake board
- 1 mini angled spatula
- 1 medium ice cream scooper
- Wide stiff paint brush