Skillet Philly Cheesesteak Casserole is a classic but that doesn’t mean you have to have it on a roll to enjoy it. With this Skillet Philly Cheesecake Recipe, you can enjoy this low carb version that tastes amazing and is easy to make.
You can pair this Philly Cheesesteak casserole with Airfryer Avocado Fries for a delicious dinner.
Skillet Philly Cheesesteak Casserole Recipe
If you have been to Philly or the surrounding areas, you might have enjoyed a Philly Cheesesteak, and if you didn’t, why not? The flavors are just over the top delicious. IF you have had one, you might find yourself craving them. Whether you want something more than a sandwich, avoiding gluten or want something that is low carb, this skillet Philly cheesesteak casserole is everything you could want in a dinner.
What is the Best Cut of Beef for Skillet Philly Cheesesteak?
While there are several types of steak you can use, the most flavorful and most common cut of beef for this recipe is flank steak. It gives the best flavor and has the right amount of fat content. Also, flank steak is a steak that often goes on sale so that makes it a great choice. When you find this steak on sale stock up so that you can have it on hand whenever you want to ake this recipe.
What is the Best Philly Cheesesteak Cheese?
When it comes to a classic cheesesteak, it is often served with American cheese, cheddar cheese or provolone. Of course there is cheese wiz too. For this casserole, I am using mozzarella cheese because it adds the flavor but it does not take over the casserole and it melts perfectly. You can top this casserole with any of your favorite types of cheese.
How to Reheat this Casserole
You reheat this skillet on the stove in a skillet or you can heat it in the microwave. Another option is to reheat this Philly Cheesesteak casserole in the oven. Sometimes it is easier to reheat a small portion in the microwave, but if heating more than one serving, I like to reheat it in a skillet on the stove.
- Flank steak
- Green bell pepper
- Red pepper
- Yellow or orange bell pepper
- Italian seasoning
- Red pepper flakes
How to Make a Philly Cheesecake Casserole in a Skillet
Using a cast-iron skillet, add your butter to the pan. Once the butter has melted, add the garlic, peppers, and onions.
Sautee them on high until the peppers and onions start to get soft and tender.
Add the sliced steak to the onions and peppers mixture.
Sprinkle in the Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper.
Cook the steak to the temperature you like, however medium works best for this recipe.
Once the steak is ready, add mozzarella to the top of the steak and veggies. Cover everything fully in cheese.
Set the oven to broil, and place the skillet in the oven until the cheese is thoroughly melted. This takes about 1 to 3 minutes.
Remove from the oven, let it sit for a minute and then enjoy.
Philly Cheesesteak Casserole Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1- pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese cubed
- 1/3 cup beef broth
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large bell peppers seeded and sliced
- 1 large onion peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a 9x9-inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef, salt, and pepper. Use a wooden spoon to crumble the ground beef and cook, stirring often, until fully browned. Drain off the excess fat. Add the cream cheese and beef broth to the cooked beef and cook until the cream cheese is melted. Stir in the shredded mozzarella cheese. Pour the meat mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the sliced bell peppers and onion. Cook until softened, then and garlic and cook for an additional minute. Scoop the mixture over the meat mixture in the casserole dish.
- Top the casserole with slices of provolone cheese.
- Bake the casserole for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is hot and bubbling.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.
1 thought on “Skillet Philly Cheesesteak Casserole Recipe”
Sounds good and easy hope to try it soon!