Do you have plenty of zucchini and yellow squash you’d like to use? This recipe for Summer Squash Casserole calls for 2 pounds cut into 1/4″ slices.
I’m mad about squash, yellow squash especially. For instance, this Butternut Squash Cake is delicious. It’s drenched in maple cream cheese frosting. It actually uses butternut squash baby food! Can you believe it? Give it a try sometime and let me know what you think of it. Casseroles are also a fave with my family. (Especially this easy tater tot casserole!)
Summer Squash Casserole
If there aren’t any Panko Breadcrumbs in your cabinets, get some. Not only for this recipe but for lots and lots of recipes.
This Seafood Macaroni & Cheese will change your life and it calls for Panko Breadcrumbs. Own an Air Fryer? Wait until you try Air Fryer Avocado Fries. They are coated in crunchy Panko and have only a few ingredients.
You could whip some up right now if you have 2 large avocadoes, a little Cajun seasoning, a pinch of salt and pepper, and a couple of eggs.
Speaking of Air Fryers, do you love yours? We have a few recipes designed especially for it, and they’re pretty awesome. Take a look!
Choosing Summer Squash
You want the squash to be smooth and it shouldn’t have any bruising or spots. The yellow should have a neck like a swan, or at least “swan-ish.” Zucchini should be long, straight and green.
Better hurry and make this yummy summer squash casserole though because squash only keeps a few days.
Parmesan and squash are made for each other!
There is something about adding the parmesan cheese and Panko on top of the soft vegetables that give our Summer Squash Casserole a little something extra. Make sure you brown the parm and crumbs under the broiler after the dish is done. Get them golden brown so they offer up a nice little crunch.
Summer Squash Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Spray a 9x9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add cut zucchini and squash to pan and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Combine Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the zucchini and squash.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and turn heat to a High broil. Broil until breadcrumb topping starts to turn a golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Serve hot with fresh parsley.