Tamale Casserole is a moist layer of a sweet cornbread crust topped with seasoned beef, enchilada sauce and cheese. This quick Mexican dinner idea is a family favorite!
Mexican Cornbread Casserole
This casserole recipe is definitely a crowd-pleaser. Even the pickiest of eaters with enjoy it. You’ll want to finish this off with your favorite taco toppings, like avocados, cilantro, tomatoes, or whatever you like. Make sure not to skip the toppings. The toppings is what takes this recipe to the next level of delicious!
What Is A Tamale?
Tamale is a traditional Mexican dish of seasoned meat wrapped in masa (ground corn with water and lime), then steamed or baked in corn husks. The corn husks are taken off and you eat the inside.
Ingredients To Make Tamale Casserole
Jiffy Cornbread Mix: Combined with the egg, sour cream, and creamed corn for a thick base layer.
Ground Beef: You can use cooked lean beef or other meats like ground chicken or turkey.
Taco Seasoning: This will be for additional flavor along with the red enchilada sauce.
How To Make Tamale Casserole
Step 1. Set the oven to 350 degrees. Place the cornbread mix, egg, sour cream, and creamed corn into a medium bowl and combine. Add the mixture to an 8×8-inch baking dish that has been greased. Bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes.
Step 2. Add the cooked and drained beef, taco seasoning, and enchilada sauce into a medium bowl and combine. Use a fork to poke holes in the cornbread layer. Pour the beef mixture on top and top with a layer of shredded cheese. Bake for 15 minutes and top with additional toppings of your choice. Serve and Enjoy!
What Toppings Taste Best On A Tamale Casserole?
A little sour cream and lettuce on top do the trick for me. You can use additional toppings I’ve listed below:
Tips & Tricks
- Place leftovers in a sealed container for up to 3 days in the fridge
- You can use regular, mild, or hot taco seasoning.
- Add beans into the beef.
- You can try different kinds of cheese like Pepper Jack
More Casserole Recipes:
- KFC Bowl Casserole
- Sweet Potato Tater Tot Casserole
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- Loaded Potato Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl stir together the cornbread mix, egg, sour cream, and creamed corn. Once combined pour into a greased 8×8 baking dish. Bake for 30-40 minutes until lightly golden and baked through.
- In a medium bowl mix together your cooked brown and drained ground beef, taco seasoning, and enchilada sauce. Poke the cornbread layer with a fork all over. Pour the hamburger mix all over the cornbread layer. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake another 15 minutes until all the cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with all your favorite toppings and serve!