A cake roll recipe is a beautiful swirl of cake with a creamy filling inside. This Lemon Blueberry Cake Roll has a great sweet, tangy, and citrus flavor in the filling. It is a very good recipe to make for any occasion and you are sure to fall in love.
Lemon Blueberry Cake Roll
This Lemon Cake roll with blueberries recipe is very good! The recipe has a great spongy and soft texture. All you have to do is bake your sheet cake of cake and prepare your filling. Placing the filling in the center of the cake and you will roll it for a perfect swirled cake. This recipe is similar to that of this Red Velvet Cake Roll and Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Cake which are other decently flavored recipes to try out.
- Eggs- Use the eggs at room temperature.
- Sugar- This sugar is always used in the best recipes.
- Lemon Extract- Use pure extract for the best flavoring.
- Vegetable Oil- You can use canola oil as a substitute.
- Flour- Use all-purpose flour for the best results.
- Baking Powder- This will allow the ingredients to rise in the oven.
- Salt- This salt will bring out the flavors in your recipe.
- Cream Cheese- This will need to be softened or at room temperature.
- Heavy Whipping Cream- This will help with the consistency of the whipped topping
- Blueberries- Use fresh berries for the best-enhanced flavoring.
- Lemon Zest- Zest lemons before using the juice.
How to Make a Lemon Cake Roll
Use pam to grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Use parchment paper to line the pan, and lightly flour it.
Set the oven to 350 degrees.
Add the egg whites into a large bowl and beat while you slowly add in the sugar until stiff peaks form.
Add the yolks into a separate bowl and beat until frothy. Mix in another half cup of sugar into the eggs.
Add the lemon extract and oil and whisk until combined.
Put the salt, flour, and baking powder into another bowl and combine.
Combine the egg and dry ingredients and add into the pan and fill about 3/4 of the way full. Do not fill the loan too much or the cake will crack. If there is any remaining batter, you can make another smaller cake.
Put the baking pan into the oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until a tester placed in the middle comes out clean. Watch the cake not over bake it.
Place the cake on a towel sprinkled with powdered sugar right away. Leave the parchment paper on the cake to help roll it up.
Transfer to a cooling rack and let it cool with the seam-facing down while you begin spreading the filling on top.
Combine the cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the whipped cream into a separate bowl and beat until stiff peaks form. Combine that with cream cheese.
Slowly unroll the cake and take off the parchment paper.
Evenly spread the filling onto the surface of the cake and drizzle some lemon juice on top with blueberries.
Roll your cake into a tube and then, place it in the fridge for 1 hour at least.
Serve and Enjoy!
Can I Use a Different Berry in This Recipe?
You can absolutely try out different berries for this recipe. I always recommend making the recipe first before changing anything. However, other berries like raspberries or strawberries, are a good choice.
Tips for Rolling the Cake
Using parchment paper is a good way to roll your cake. Laying down a piece of parchment paper, then setting your cake sheet down, adding the filling in the middle. The parchment paper will be used as a guide to allow for a tighter and more secure cake roll. Another way to easily roll this cake is by using a towel in the same way, roll and tighten slightly.
More Cake Roll Recipes:
- Carrot Cake Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting Filling
- Swiss Cake Roll Cheesecake (No-Bake)
- Air Fryer Pumpkin Cheesecake Egg Rolls
- Funfetti Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls
Lemon Blueberry Cake Roll
- Using a non-stick cooking spray, coat the bottom of a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Place parchment paper, cut to fit, in the bottom of the pan, and lightly spray and flour.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large bowl, using a mixer, beat egg whites, while gradually adding in one cup of the granulated sugar until peaks form. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks until foamy. Slowly add in ½ cup of granulated sugar while continuing to beat until combined.
- Whisk in lemon extract and oil until combined.
- Fold the egg whites into the egg yolks.
- In another bowl, stir together the salt, flour, and baking powder.
- Gently fold the dry mixture into the egg mixture. Pour into the prepared pan, filling about ¾ full. If filled too full, the cake will tend to crack when rolled. If there is some batter leftover, you can make another smaller version of the cake.
- Place on the center rack of the preheated oven and bake for approx. 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Be cautious to not overbake.
- When done, immediately turn out onto a clean dishtowel that you have sprinkled with the powdered sugar. Leave the parchment paper attached and roll it up with the towel. Place on a cooling rack and allow to cool, seam side down while you make the filling.
- Mix cream cheese and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Fold the cream cheese mixture into the whipped cream.
- Carefully unroll the cake and remove the parchment paper. Spread the filling liberally onto the cake surface, sprinkle with the lemon zest and top with the blueberries. Roll the cake back up, having the seam on the bottom. Chill for at least an hour before slicing.