This Christmas Breakfast Casserole is loaded with flavor and made in the Crock-Pot. With the perfect combination of potatoes, cheese, sausage, eggs, peppers, and onions, it makes a delicious Holiday breakfast or any morning or the year!
Holiday Breakfast Casserole
Slow Cooker Christmas Breakfast Casserole is a hearty and savory dish that looks so pretty for the Holidays. It’s perfect for Christmas morning when you want to spend less time in the kitchen and more time with your loved ones. This egg and sausage casserole can be prepared the night before and then cooked in the slow cooker while you sleep, making it a stress-free breakfast option..
What You’ll Need
- Filling: The casserole filling is made of Eggs, Milk, Hash brown potatoes, cooked Breakfast sausage, Onion, and chopped Red and green bell peppers.
- Cheese: This casserole uses Cheddar cheese and Pepper jack cheese
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
How to Make Christmas Breakfast Casserole
- Combine: Mix the cheeses together and set aside. Mix the sausage, peppers, and onions together in another bowl. Whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper together in another large bowl.
- Layer: Layer 1/3 of the hashbrowns in the bottom of the slow cooker. Add a layer of sausage. Sprinkle a cup of cheese. Repeat and create 2 more layers of each kind, ending with a layer of cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the top. Cook on low for 8 hours.
Here are a list of recipe options to serve with this Christmas breakfast casserole.
- Christmas Donut Wreath
- Cinnamon Rolls with Heavy Cream
- Fluffy Pancakes
- Breakfast Pigs in a Blanket
- Crock-Pot Cinnamon Roll Casserole
- Raspberry Cream Cheese Crescent Ring
- Eggnog Pancakes
- Is there a vegetarian option? Yes, you can omit the meat and add more vegetables like mushrooms, spinach, or zucchini for a delicious vegetarian version.
- Can I use a different type of cheese? Absolutely! You can experiment with different types of cheese like cheddar, swiss, or even feta for a unique flavor profile.
- What other vegetables can I add? The possibilities are endless! Along with the peppers and onions, you can add diced potatoes, broccoli, carrots, or any other vegetable you enjoy.
Tips and Tricks for Christmas Breakfast Casserole
To make the most of your Christmas Breakfast Casserole, here are a few handy tips and tricks:
- Storage: Once cooked, store the casserole in an airtight container to keep it fresh. It will last for about 2-3 days in the fridge.
- Frozen Vegetables: Don’t fret if you don’t have fresh peppers and onions at hand! You can easily substitute them with their frozen counterparts.
- Add Bacon: For an extra burst of flavor, feel free to add some cooked bacon to the casserole.
- Cooking Time: If you’re short on time, you can cook the casserole on high for 4-5 hours instead of the usual 8 hours on low. This will give you the same delicious result in almost half the time!
- Variations: Feel free to experiment with different types of cheese or add some diced tomatoes for a tasty twist on the original recipe. You can also try using ham or bacon instead of sausage, or even mix and match your meat choices.
Other Breakfast Casserole Recipes:
- Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Hashbrown Casserole
- Croissant Breakfast Casserole
- Italian Breakfast Casserole
- Cinnamon Roll Casserole
Christmas Breakfast Casserole
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 pounds hash brown potatoes
- 1 pound breakfast sausage cooked
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 cup red and green bell peppers chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Spray the inside of the 8 quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix the two shredded cheeses together in a small bowl and set aside. Mix the cooked sausage and peppers and onions together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs together in a medium sized bowl until well mixed. Whisk in the milk, salt and pepper, set aside.
- Layer around 1/3 of the potatoes on the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle 1/3 of the sausage mixture all around. Sprinkle 1 cup of the shredded cheese mixture on top. Repeat 2 more times. End with the cheese layer.
- Once all the layers have been made, pour the egg mixture all over top. Cook on low for 8 hours. (You can do this overnight) Serve and enjoy!