Sweet and Sour Sauce
This Homemade Sweet and Sour Sauce is the perfect addition to your favorite Chinese dishes! This delicious sauce is made with a blend of sweet and sour flavors, and is perfect for dipping, cooking, or as a condiment. With its unique flavor, it is sure to become a family favorite!
Homemade Sweet and Sour Sauce
Tired of the same old store-bought sauces? Make your own sweet and sour sauce with this easy recipe. It only takes a few minutes to prepare and you can customize it to your liking.
- Crushed pineapple- You won’t need to drain the juice. It will become part of the sauce.
- Maraschino cherries – You need the jarred kind of cherries because these cherries are soft and have that added sweetness to the cherries.
- Grape jelly- You want basic grape jelly. Not jam.
- Hoisin sauce- This brings in a lot of the classic flavors. This is a Chinese sauce that has its own unique flavor.
- Chinese 5 spice powder- You can find this in the international aisle usually but you can also find it online.
- Apple cider vinegar- I recommend using apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar. It will give the highest flavor profile.
- Cornstarch- This thickens the sauce so that it isn’t as runny as it is when it is just liquid.
How to Make Sweet and Sour Sauce
Using a blender, combine the pineapple with the juice, cherries, jelly, hoisin sauce, 5 spice and salt. If adding food coloring add it at this step.
In a sauce pan, combine the sugar and apple cider. Heat until the sugar dissolves.
Add the blender mixture into the saucepan mixture and simmer for 3 minutes.
Add the cornstarch and stir until it is dissolved. Let simmer for another 3 minutes.
Remove from the heat, let cool and thicken.
What is Sweet and Sour Sauce?
Sweet and sour sauce is a condiment made with sugar, vinegar, and other ingredients. It is used as a dipping sauce, cooking sauce, or condiment. It is usually has a reddish-brown color and is thick in consistency. The flavor of sweet and sour sauce can vary depending on the recipe. Some recipes are more sour, while others are sweeter. This recipe is right in between.
How should I store it?
Place the cooled sauce in an airtight container. Use a plastic container or a glass jar. Keep it in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Can I eat this warm or cold?
This sauce can be serve hot or cold. It is great over hot entrees like chicken and rice. it also works at room temperature or cold as a dip with things like wontons or egg rolls.
More Chinese Food Ideas
Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple about ¾ cup, no need to drain juice
- ¼ cup maraschino cherries with a splash of cherry juice, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons grape jelly
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon chinese 5 spice powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red food coloring optional
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a blender, add the crushed pineapple, maraschino cherries with the splash of juice, grape jelly, hoisin sauce, chinese 5 spice powder, salt, and red food coloring. Blend until well combined.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and apple cider vinegar and cook until sugar is dissolved, stirring often.
- Add the blender mixture into the saucepan with the vinegar and simmer over low heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cornstarch and stir until the cornstarch is dissolved (this will help thicken the sauce). Let simmer for another 2-3 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for at least 5 minutes before serving. Sauce will thicken more as it cools.