Would you like to have a simple and easy snack to grab on the go or to make for your kids to eat when your making dinner or a snack to add to their lunch box? Then, this Texas Trash recipe will be a go-to for you! This is the perfect snack to enjoy as a party dish or just to eat throughout the day.
Texas Trash Snack Mix Recipe
This Snack mix is so good! Filled with Chex, peanuts, cheerios, pretzels, and a blend of seasonings. The name of this recipe has an unknown origin, but others may call it Nuts and Bolts. This may become a new favorite snack, so be sure to keep this one handy!
Chex Mix is always such a yummy and versatile staple to have on hand! You can combine it with a variety of items to create easy on the go snacks and the perfect snack for a holiday get together! One of my family’s favorite go-to snack recipes is my S’mores Chex Mix. Of course, for Halloween, this fun snack mix is always a hit. Another easy snack recipe for St. Patrick’s Day is my Leprechaun Bait!
- Butter- Use unsalted butter to control the salt in the recipe.
- Worcestershire sauce- This will add a smoky flavor to the recipe.
- Celery salt- Brings out the flavors in the recipe.
- Garlic powder- This will add a wonderful aroma to the mix.
- Paprika- This will add a slightly spicy flavor.
- Onion powder- You add this for additional taste.
- Cheerios- You can use plain or a variety of flavored cheerios.
- Corn Chex- You can use different flavored Chex for this recipe.
- Wheat Chex- This will be an additional add-in.
- Mini pretzels- Adds a bit of saltiness to the recipe.
- Peanuts- This will add a nutty flavor to the recipe.
How to Make Texas Trash Snack Mix
Set the oven to 250 degrees and use parchment paper to line a large rimmed baking sheet and place it aside.
Add the butter, sauce, and spices into a small bowl and whisk to combine.
Combine the cereals, pretzels, and peanuts in a large bowl.
Combine the butter mixture and Chex mix and evenly coat.
Pour the mix onto the prepared sheet and spread out.
Place in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour and mix around every 15 minutes.
Take out and let cool on the pan before enjoying.
What Other Items Can I Add to This?
This Snack mix is wonderful just the way it is. There are already so many ingredients to make this snack mix delicious. However, if you want to add-in more then, you can.
How Long is Texas Trash Good?
This Snack Mix is good for about 2 months depending on how you store it. When left at room temperature it won’t last as long. However, when placed in the fridge and stored in an airtight container is will last up to 2 months.
MORE SNACK RECIPES
Texas Trash Mix
- 1 cup salted butter melted
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 cups Cheerios
- 2 cups Corn Chex
- 2 cups Wheat Chex
- 3 cups mini pretzels
- 1½ cups peanuts
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, and spices; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cereals, pretzels, and peanuts.
- Add the butter mixture to the cereal and stir to coat.
- Spread the mixture out on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool on the pan before serving.
You can use smoked paprika for even more kick.
If you like things spicy, you could add 2 teaspoons of your favorite buffalo sauce.
This recipe can also be made in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 1½ to 2 hours in a greased slow cooker, stirring every 20 minutes or so.