Warning: Xylitol Poisoning Is Killing Dogs

This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.

If you have a dog, you know how much they love to sneak into the trash at every opportunity. Unfortunately, if they get into the artificial sweetener Xylitol, it may prove fatal.

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol. You have probably encountered it without even knowing. It’s in lots of things we put in our mouths, like sugar-free gum, candy, and even toothpaste. People who cut back on sugar use it to sweeten their foods, drinks, and treats. You might have it in your house right now.

For humans it’s fantastic. It helps us keep real sugar out of our mouths! We love it.

Sadly, in dogs, Xylitol causes low blood sugar, seizures, liver failure, and death. The prognosis is not good.

The Dangers of xylitol poisoning
Kate Chacksfield – Facebook

The Dangers of Xylitol Dog Poisoning

Kate Chacksfield’s dog Ruby died in London after he ate brownies he found in the trash that were sweetened with Xylitol.

I’ve always heard chocolate can kill a dog. Have you?

According to my vet and HillsPet, it’s technically true. But if they don’t eat too much for their size, they’ll probably just get a bad tummy ache.

This event wasn’t Ruby’s introduction to brownies. She had found her way to them before, which is why her owner didn’t freak out when she saw her fur baby had eaten them again. She didn’t realize that the earlier brownies were sweetened with real sugar, not an artificial sweetener.

If my dog that ate two brownies and was acting sick, I most likely would have blamed the chocolate in the brownie, too.  That’s why Kate is telling her story.

“We did everything we could to save Ruby – she was so loved and we all miss her dearly. We really had hope she would pull through so we were heartbroken when she didn’t. We’d love to be able to save other dogs from going through what Ruby went through by raising awareness on the dangers of Xylitol for dogs,” said Kate.

First, symptoms might not happen immediately.

Ruby found the brownies in the garbage, ate two, and went on, just as she had before. It took another 36 hours to before she showed any sign at all of being sick.

Had Kate known anything about Xylitol poisoning earlier, she would have known to take Ruby to the vet right away.

Second, Ruby might have been saved if she’d gotten care quicker.

Of course, as soon as the dog showed the first sign of being sick, Kate rushed her to the hospital. Unfortunately, she was already in liver failure. Eight days and more than $12,000 later, poor Ruby passed away.

Xylitol poisoning symptoms in dogs are: 

Lack of coordination or difficulty walking or standing
Depression or lethargy

Finally, Kate has an important warning.

“It takes just a quarter of a teaspoon of sweetener to harm a dog,” she said. “I really, really urge other dog owners to read up on the dangers of Xylitol in dogs and urgently take their pets to the vet if they accidentally consume it as it could be the difference between life and death.”

If you suspect your dog has eaten Xylitol, rush to your local vet immediately. Some people say to try to induce vomiting white others say that will make them worse. I think I’d do whatever my vet told me to.

What do you think? Had you ever heard of this kind of poisoning before?

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating: 0 from 0 votes

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Leave a Review!

We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.

Your email address will not be published.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I accept the Privacy Policy

3 comments on “Warning: Xylitol Poisoning Is Killing Dogs”

  1. Avatar photo
    Susan Salsberry

    I’m sorry for your loss. Last year our new puppy got into the candy basket and ate some chocolate along with some sugarfree gum. We had no idea how much was left in the pack but, we rushed her to the vet and they induced vomiting and found very small pieces of the gum along with candy wrappers. They keep her for a few hours to check her vitals. We got lucky that was when she was 12 weeks old today she is a healthy 1 1/2 year old puppy. I make sure I tell everyone about the Xylitol danger.

  2. Avatar photo
    Melissa Skocypec

    I’m so sorry to hear about Ruby. My friend’s Labrador ate some gum out  of her owners gym bag, and she almost died from it. She was lethargic and having seizures. They thought she would die on her way to the vet. She was in the early stages of liver failure…all from the xylitol in the gum. Luckily, her life was saved. My friend and her family went on to start spreading the word about the dangers of xylitol in dogs. After that incident, my daughter won’t let me bring anything containing xylitol into our house with 3 dogs.