These amazing Apricot Thumbprint cookies are going to become a fast favorite. A delicious combination of thumbprint cookie that is filled in with apricot jam and topped with walnuts. These cookies are perfect as a summer treat or as a simple holiday surprise.
Apricot Thumbprint Cookies
This apricot walnut thumbprint cookies recipe is simple and easy to follow. You can enjoy this incredible mix of apricot and nutty cookie for any occasion.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- All-purpose flour- All purpose flour is best but self rising will work in a pinch.
- Baking powder- If using self rising flour, do not add baking powder.
- Salt- This will bring out the flavors in your cookies.
- Butter- Always use unsalted to control the amount of salt in a recipe.
- Sugar- All good cookies need sugar.
- Egg- This will help the cookies form.
- Vanilla extract- Always use pure vanilla for best flavoring.
- Apricot jam- This will be for your signature apricot flavoring.
- Walnuts- Make sure your walnuts are finely chopped.
How to Make Apricot Thumbprint Cookies
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl with a mixer.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix until completely blended.
- Add the dry ingredients, slowly in 2 additions. Mix until it is just combined being careful not to over mix.
- Scrape down the sides and then cover with plastic wrap for 30 minutes.
- Place the chopped walnuts in a small bowl and roll 1 inch balls of cookie dough into the walnuts.
- Place the dough balls on the baking sheet and press a small indent in with your thumb or knuckle
- Spoon the jam into the indent.
- Bake for 14 minutes in a 350 preheated oven.
Can I Make Thumbprint Cookies Sugar Free?
Thumbprint cookies are quick and easy and even better is that there is a way to make them sugar free if you would like. When you make the thumbprint cookies, you can use Splenda or Stevia as a substitute for the sugar, and its best if you use a sugar free jam as well.
What’s the Best Apricot Jam For This Recipe?
Use a quality apricot jam or preserves for these cookies. You can also choose between using a store bought jam or preserve or use homemade.
More Thumbprint Cookie Recipes
- Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies
- Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
- Gingerbread Thumbprint Cookies
- Shortbread Thumbprint Cookies
Apricot Thumbprint Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line large baking sheets with baking parchment or silicon baking sheets.
- Combine butter and sugar in a bowl. Whip with a handheld mixer or stand mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy.
- Combine in egg and vanilla. Beat until fully blended.
- Add dry ingredients in two additions, mixing on low speed until just combined.
- Scrap down the sides of the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Place chopped walnuts into small bowl.
- Scoop the dough into 1” balls. A round tsp scoop works well. Roll between your palms into an even ball.
- Roll in walnuts before placing on baking sheet. If walnuts are having trouble sticking, they may be too big, or you can scoop up a bit of the walnuts in your palm and roll the dough between your hands. Repeat with remaining dough, placing balls 2” apart.
- With your thumb (or knuckle) press a ½” indentation in each ball.
- Scoop some apricot jam into each indentation until they are slightly heaped, about ¾ tsp jam.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes until golden brown. If baking two sheets at once, rotate sheets halfway through the bake time and bake for an extra 1-2 minutes.