These homemade baked apple donuts are delicious using cake mix and apple sauce. Unlike traditional fried donuts, these fall treats are baked, making them better for you and easier to prepare.
Baked Apple Donuts
Perfect for a Fall breakfast or a yummy after-dinner treat, these mouthwatering homemade baked cake mix donuts are always a hit with the entire family. Coated in a blend of cinnamon and sugar to take them to the next level, adding the perfect amount of sweetness that complements the Fall flavors of the donuts.
If you want more donut recipes to have along with this recipe or just to try out a new recipe, be sure to look at this Strawberry Donut Hole Recipe or these Easy Lemon Donut Holes for other fruit-flavored donuts.
What You’ll Need:
- For the Donuts: Theses are made using a spiced cake mix as the base of the donuts combined with applesauce (for apple flavor), cinnamon, and apple pie spice.
- Cinnamon and Sugar– The donuts are topped with cinnamon sugar.
How to Make Apple Donuts
Make the cake donuts: Preheat the oven and prep the donut pans. Combine the ingredients and pour the batter into the doughnut pan. Bake for 12-14 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
Coat the donuts: Combine the cinnamon-sugar mixture in a baggie or bowl. Place the donut in the sugar and shake the bag (or dip the donuts)
How to Store?
Store in the fridge for 3-4 days or even in the freezer to last longer. Place the donuts into an air-tight container to keep in the moisture and make sure they don’t dry out.
There are many different variations for this recipe. Add a simple powdered sugar glaze with pure vanilla extract, caramel glaze, or chocolate glaze. Feel free to include caramel chips or chocolate chips for extra flavor.
- Stuffed Apple Donuts: Cut a slit in the side of the donut and fill it with apple pie filling or caramel sauce for a gooey surprise inside.
- Apple Fritters: Make the batter with chopped apples, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Maple Glaze: Add a maple glaze to the top of the baked apple donuts. Make the glaze with powdered sugar, maple syrup, and a bit of milk.
- Nutty Apple Donuts: Roll the freshly glazed or cinnamon-sugar coated donuts in crushed nuts like pecans or walnuts for added crunch and flavor.
- Spice: Don’t have apple pie spice? No problem! Use 1/4 tsp of cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
More Apple Donut Recipes:
Baked Apple Donuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spray a donut pan with non-stick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, add cake mix, apple sauce, pie spice, and cinnamon, mix to combine.
- Pour the batter into the donut pan and bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove the donuts from the oven and let them cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Once the donuts are cool, remove them from the pan.
- In a zip-lock bag, mix the 1 cup sugar and 1tbsp ground cinnamon
- Place donuts in the zip-lock bag and shake to coat. Enjoy!