This easy Apple Fritters recipe is the quickest and best way to make this old fashion treat. A warm, fresh donut with homemade glaze is one of my favorite things. A bit similar to the beloved funnel cake, but WAY better!
These homemade apple fritters are made right on the kitchen stove in a simple skillet and some oil. They are soft and sweet on the inside and crunchy on the outside.
Ingredients You Need
- Apples. You’ll need two large apples and we prefer Granny Smith for these.
- Flour. All purpose.
- Sugar. To sweeten.
- Baking Powder.
- Milk. Whichever kind of milk you like.
- Cinnamon. For flavor.
- Unsweetened Applesauce. For extra apple flavor.
- Vegetable Oil. For frying.
Donut Glaze Ingredients
I just love a simple powdered sugar glaze! Three ingredients, made fast and it’s so easy. Plus, it can go on just about anything.
- Powdered Sugar.
How To Make Apple Fritters
- Dry Ingredients. In a bowl, stir the dry ingredients.
- Add Wet Ingredients. Stir in the milk and applesauce next.
- Apples. Dice up your apples into small bites and fold them into the batter.
- Fry. Heat oil in the skillet to about 375 degrees. Then, drop the batter in 1/3 scoops for 2 minutes on each side. Let them cool on a rack while you make the glaze.
- Glaze. Stir the three glaze ingredients together and dip each fritter in. Let the excess drip and enjoy.
These are most certainly the best tasting when they are warm and fresh! Serve them in the morning with your cup of coffee or a cool glass of milk.
Can you Bake these Apple Fritters?
Yes you can, BUT I would not recommend baking. You will get the best results with frying this recipe.
- Heat – Use a thermometer to make sure the oil is at the correct temperature making sure the tip is not touching the bottom of the pan.
- Fry – I fry in batched. Add in 3 fritters at a time. This will prevent crowding and helps with any undercooked issues.
- Color – The darker the fritters the crisper the they’ll be.
- Rest – Let your fritters rest on a wire rack after a minute on a paper towel. This will help keep them crisp.
More Apple Recipes To Try Next
- In a large bowl, stir the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon to combine.
- Add applesauce and milk to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the diced apples.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a large skillet to about 375 degrees.
- Scoop 1/3 cup of the apple fritter batter and place in the hot oil, spreading it down to flatten.
- Cook on one side for about 2-3 minutes until golden brown, then flip with tongs and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Place the cooked fritters on a cooling rack with a pan or parchment paper underneath to catch oil drippings.
- Continue with all the batter.
- Whisk the glaze ingredients together in a medium sized bowl until smooth.
- Dip each fritter into it.
- Place back on rack to harden and drip.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.