This yummy dessert that is like a combination of a pineapple upside down cake and banana bread. Banana Upside Down Cake is moist and fluffy with brown sugar crust on top that is so tasty.
Banana Upside Down Cake
If you love banana bread like I do, this is such a delicious new take on it. The topping adds nice little crunch on top that goes really well with the bananas. The ingredients for this dessert recipe are pretty basic pantry staples so you might be able to get baking right away.
Here Is What You’ll Need
- Flour. Use all purpose for this recipe since we are adding in our own baking powder and salt. No self-rising needed here.
- Bananas. The more ripe and brown the better.
- Baking Soda & Baking Powder.
- Brown Sugar & White Sugar.
- Milk. We used whole but you can use whatever you’ve got.
- Vanilla Extract. If you can, use real vanilla and not the “imitation” vanilla. It tastes much better.
- Canola Oil.
- Optional toppings: Pecans/nuts, or caramel sauce.
How To Make A Banana Upside Down Cake
- Make the topping. Combine the ingredients and press them into your greased pan. Then add a thin layer of banana slices. This goes in the bottom of your pan even though it is the topping. It’s an upside down cake, remember?
- Make the batter. Mash the bananas and mix all the cake ingredients together until well combined. Then pour it over your crust/topping.
- Bake. Cook on 350 for about 45 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Flip. Let the cake cool slightly and turn upside down onto a plate to serve and eat.
You can drizzle caramel sauce on top if desired – so yummy!
Do I Need A Springform Pan?
So, you don’t have to use a springform pan if you don’t have one. We used it here and on many recipes because of it’s removable sides and how easy it makes removing cakes. It really is a nice tool to have around when you’re baking.
Serve your cake with a big glass of milk, warm cup of coffee or the way I prefer it: a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
More Recipes You’ll Love
Banana Upside Down Cake
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons salted butter melted
- 3 ripe bananas ⅓ inch slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and grease a 9-inch springform cake pan.
- In a small bowl, combine all topping ingredients and press into the bottom of prepared pan.
- Layer banana slices on top of mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine all cake ingredients and pour on top of banana layer.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Carefully turn out onto a platter and serve.