We decided to create a cute idea using a recipe from the book Cupcakery. We turned a Banana Taffy Cupcake into Big Bird Banana Cupcakes! These are very easy to decorate using Starburst candies & sprinkles…my 4 year old especially loved these.
We were so excited to receive our friend Toni’s new book Cupcakery in the mail the other day. She is behind one of our favorite blogs Make Bake Celebrate. This gorgeous book is packed full of fun and party perfect cupcakes that you can create in a flash! Let’s not forget to mention her amazing photos!
One of our lucky readers will get a chance to enter the big Cupcakery GIVEAWAY including a ton of amazing prizes listed below (there is a KitchenAid Mixer involved)!
Toni’s cupcake recipes are amazing! This will definitely be my go to book for baking. Even though we came up with our own idea with these cupcakes, she also has a ton of awesome decorating ideas that are super cute!
Big Bird Banana Cupcakes
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 4 Tbsp. instant banana pudding
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp. banana extract
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup shorteming
- 2 Tbsp. banana extract
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 6-8 Tbsp. mils
- yellow gel coloring
- Yellow, blue, pink, and red Starburst candy
- White Sixlets
- Black Sprinkles
- White cookie icing (Betty Crocker)
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Line 2 12-cup cupcake pans with yellow cupcake liners.
- Mix the cake mix and pudding in a bowl & set aside.
- Mix your wet ingredients using a mixer with a paddle attachment and then add your cake mixture.
- Beat for about 15-20 seconds. Do not overbeat.
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of batting into each cupcake liner and bake for 16-18 minutes.
- Remove from the oven making sure a toothpick comes out clean and cool.
- While cupcakes are cooling, prepare your banana buttercream frosting.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter until smooth on medium speed.
- Add shortening and banana extract.
- Slowly add powdered sugar until combined.
- Add 2 tablespoons of milk and yellow food coloring (trying to match the yellow Star Burst).
- Add the other tablespoon of milk if needed and beat for 1-2 minutes.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, frost the cupcakes using a #98 tip pulling it out to a point to look like hair.
- Place each piece of candy in the microwave for 8 seconds to soften (for decorating we used Starburst candy)
- Flatten out the blue and pink candies using your fingers and cut into strips using kitchen scissors.
- Press your pieces onto the white Sixlets candy to look like eyelids.
- Add 2 black sprinkles on the front using the white cookie icing.
- You will use 1 yellow Starburst to make the beak. After you soften the candy, cut it in half at a angle and then shape the pieces into a beak. Do the same with the red & pink and shape 2 small pieces to decorate the mouth.
Using Star Burst is like working with fondant. It’s just better because it’s already colored!
Your little Sesame Street fans are going to love these fun cupcake! Here is a close up…
Check out some sneak peeks from the book…
We just love these Neapolitan Cupcakes…
So many cute birthday party cupcake ideas!
These Blue Raspberry Cupcakes are adorable and SO easy to make!
Toni shares awesome baking tips & tricks. Also a ton of info on baking supplies, frosting techniques, and lots of fun sprinkle ideas!
You are going to love this book and we really hope that one of you get to win a few of these fantastic prizes!
You can purchase your own copy of Cupcakery HERE!
1. 9in Milkglass Cake Stand – provided by Country SweetArt Kitchen
2. 4 Piece Wilton Tip Set – Provided By Make Bake Celebrate
3. Mama & Madison Custom Apron – Provided By Make Bake Celebrate
4. Paper Straw Party Combo – Provided By Sweets & Treats
5. Sprinkle Prize Pack (assortment picked by sponsor) – Provided By Country SweetArt Kitchen
6. $50.00 Credit to Sweets & Treats – Provided By Sweets & Treats
7. AmeriColor Gel Color 12 Pack – Provided By Country SweetArt Kitchen
8. 12 Ct. 12in Disposable Decorating Bags – Provided By Make Bake Celebrate
9. KitchenAid Measuring Cups – Provided By Make Bake Celebrate
10. Kitchen Aid 4.5 Qt Stand Mixer Winners Choice of Color – Provided by Make Bake Celebrate
11. 2 Pk. Pink Mini Spatulas – Provided By Make Bake Celebrate
12. Wilton 24 Cavity Cupcake Pan – Provided By Make Bake Celebrate
13. Wilton Filling Tip & Cupcake Corer – Provided By Make Bake Celebrate
*Giveaway is open to US entries only. Proof of purchased or entry validation may need to be provided by winner upon winning. Winner will be chosen at random on July 08, 2015. Make Bake Celebrate, and all participating bloggers have the right to display winner name(s) on all electronic publications including but not limited to; blog posts, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest. If for any reason a prize is unavailable Make Bake Celebrate has the right to replace said prize for another similar item of equal value.
If you like our Big Bird Banana Cupcakes…make sure to check out our other fun Cartoon food ideas HERE!
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.
10 comments on “Big Bird Banana Cupcakes including a Cupcakery Giveaway!”
oh for more cool ideas of course!
I'd love to bake cupcakes for my niece's birthday next month!
Your very talented.
Just for birthday party entertaining in general.
This would be great for birthdays!!
I'd love to have this book to help raise money for the different charities we donate to thru out the year with bake sales.
Big Bird was always one of my favorite Sesame Street Characters, and you did such a fantastic job creating him out of cupcakes.
Cupcakery looks amazing! I'd love to have it for birthday parties throughout the year, and for neighborhood dessert parties.
I would love this for my twins 7th birthday!
I would like to have one for a Halloween party