If you love Blueberry Muffins, wait until you try this incredible Blueberry Coffee Cake. With all the flavors of a tradition blueberry muffin in a delicious cake form, this is going to be a cake that everyone will love. This coffee cake is light and airy and packed with fresh blueberries, making it perfect for a delicious breakfast or snack.
Blueberry Coffee Cake
This Blueberry Coffee Cake is really wonderful. It’s so easy to make, it’s bursting with flavors, and it melts in your mouth! This cake would be great after dinner, for brunch, on a buffet, or for a midnight snack! Anytime would be a good time for this dessert. The cake is light and tender, full of fresh blueberries, has a wonderful crumble topping, with a sweet glaze. This is one you’ll want to make again and again.
- Flour- All purpose flour is best but self rising will work too
- Sugar- Cake has to have sugar
- Butter- Use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt in the recipe
- Milk- Any percentage of milk will work
- Egg- I prefer to use room temperature eggs.
- Baking powder- If you are using self rising flour, you do not need the baking powder
- Salt- Salt brings out the flavor in the baked c=goods.
- Fresh blueberries- Fresh is best
- Brown sugar- Brown sugar adds a more complex taste to the topping
- Cinnamon- The cinnamon adds a fantastic falvor
- Powdered sugar- Powdered sugar is best when making a glaze.
- Vanilla- Always use pure vanilla extract for the best flavor.
How to Make a Blueberry Coffee Cake
Beat together the softened butter, milk, egg and sugar until it is smooth.
In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
Slowly add it to the mixing bowl, until it is blended well.
Coat the blueberries with flour and then fold them into the cake batter.
Pour the batter into a prepared 9*9 inch pan and then make the crumble topping.
Melt the butter and combine it with the sugar, flour and cinnamon.
Sprinkle it on top of the cake batter and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
Cool the cake completely and then make the glaze.
Combine the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk until it is creamy and drizzle it over the cake.
Do I Use Fresh or Frozen Berries?
I prefer to use fresh blueberries with this cake. I think it gives a better texture. However, frozen berries can be used. If you only have access to frozen blueberries, you can use frozen. You want to make sure the frozen berries are thawed completely and dried as best as possible. This prevents too much moisture in the cake.
What Topping Goes on Blueberry Coffee Cake?
I make a crumble topping when I make this Blueberry Coffee Cake. It is a basic crumble topping but it adds so much flavor to the cake. It also makes each piece taste just like a blueberry muffin.
More Blueberry Desserts
- Blueberry Oatmeal Bars
- Blueberry Orange Bread Recipe
- Lemon Blueberry Trifle Recipe
- Beautiful Lemon Blueberry Meringue Pie
- Blueberry Muffin Fudge
Blueberry Coffee Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter - softened
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries more if you want to serve the cake with a few blueberries on the side washed and drained on paper towels
- 1 cup butter - melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons milk
- In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, add the softened butter, milk, egg, and sugar, and blend with the whisk attachment until smooth and creamy. In a separate bowl, blend the flour, baking powder and salt, until well mixed. Add to the mixer, and blend until smooth and creamy. Remove the mixing bowl from the mixer. Sprinkle a little flour over the blueberries, and toss to coat (this keeps the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the cake while baking).
- Line a 9 X 9 inch dish with parchment paper, and pour the cake batter into the dish. Mix the Crumble Topping - melted butter, sugar, flour and cinnamon in a bowl, and sprinkle on top of the cake batter. Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. When the cake is done baking, remove from the oven to a wire rack to cool.
- When cake has completely cooled, make the glaze; in a medium size bowl add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk, and blend until smooth and creamy. Generously drizzle glaze over the cake, while cake is still in the dish, using all the glaze.
- When ready to serve, cut the cake in 2 X 3 inch squares, sprinkle a few blueberries on the side, and serve. Enjoy!