Carne Asada Tacos feature juicy, tender steak and toppings like cilantro, onion, tomato, and avocado. Ready in just a few minutes, this easy steak taco recipe makes a great lunch or dinner.
The Best Carne Asada Tacos
There are few Mexican recipes I love more than carne asada – flavorful, juicy steak grilled to perfection. And these carne asada tacos are one of my favorite ways to serve it.
In Mexico, these steak tacos are typically served with just chopped onion and cilantro, and some salsa on the side, but I decided to take it a step further and add some extra toppings like diced tomatoes and avocado.
Feel free to add other toppings too – Cojita cheese is a favorite of mine and you can never go wrong with a fresh squeeze of lime!
These carne asada tacos have become a Taco Tuesday (or Thursday or Saturday) favorite in our home and I’m sure they will in yours too!
How Are Carne Asada Tacos Different From Steak Tacos?
Carne asada translates to “grilled steak” so technically, any grilled steak tacos could be called carne asada tacos. But in general, carne asada specifically refers to thinly sliced flank steak that’s been marinated in a flavorful savory, citrusy marinade. It’s a very popular dish in Mexico and you can enjoy it as a whole steak with a few sides, in tacos as we are today, on salads, or in burritos.
What You’ll Need
These carne asada tacos require just a handful of ingredients, though feel free to add as many toppings as you’d like. See the recipe card below for measurements.
- Flour tortillas – You can also use corn tortillas if you prefer. You may want to warm them in the microwave or on a griddle for a few seconds before adding your toppings.
- Carne asada – See my recipe for the best carne asada.
- Cilantro – Cilantro is a classic topping for steak tacos.
- Chopped onion – Finely chopped onion is also a popular topping.
- Avocado – Diced avocado adds a cool, creamy texture.
- Diced tomatoes – You can use any tomatoes but I prefer roma for these steak tacos.
How to Make Carne Asada Tacos
Here’s how to make these easy Mexican steak tacos.
- Prepare the carne asada. Cook the carne asada according to my recipe, then chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Assemble the taco. Place the tortillas on a flat surface. Add about 1/2 cup of carne asada to each one.
- Add your toppings. Top with red onion, tomato, and any other desired toppings.
Grilled Steak Taco Topping Ideas
Traditional Mexican steak tacos usually come topped with just cilantro and onion, as mentioned above, but that doesn’t mean you can’t add your favorite taco toppings. Here are a few ideas:
- Homemade salsa or pico de gallo
- Queso blanco
- Queso cojita or your favorite shredded cheese
- Shredded lettuce or cabbage
- Lime wedges
- Diced jalapenos or other chiles
How to Store Leftovers
You’ll want to store each ingredient for your grilled steak tacos separately. Carne asada meat can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days, as can the diced onions and even cilantro. Tortillas should be stored at room temperature.
Reheat the steak quickly on the stovetop then assemble your tacos as desired.
More Easy Taco Recipes:
- Walking Tacos in a Jar
- Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken Tacos
- Beef and Cheese Mini Tacos
- Slow Cooker Queso Chicken Tacos
Carne Asada Tacos
- 4-6 flour tortillas
- one recipe for carne asada chopped
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1 roma tomato diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped avocado
- optional toppings: crumbled Cotija cheese, sour cream, Lime juice
- Cook the carne asada and chop it into bite-sized pieces.
- Lay the tortilla on a flat surface. Add ½ cup of the carne asada to the center of the tortilla.
- Add red onion, tomato, and avocado. Top with chopped cilantro and other desired toppings.
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.