Take your Taco Tuesday feast to the next level with these Slow Cooker Queso Chicken Tacos! Tender shredded chicken is mixed with salsa con queso, diced tomatoes and green chiles, then loaded into your favorite tortillas.
Slow Cooker Queso Chicken Tacos
A slow cooker is still one of the best kitchen appliances for whipping up a delicious dinner fast! I love to add ingredients to the slow cooker in the morning and then be able to enjoy dinner that evening with very little prep time needed. Slow Cooker Queso Chicken Tacos are one of the best things to come out of my kitchen recently!
We loved the tender shredded chicken in a cheesy sauce for making tacos. Really a a great dinner for the family!
Serve the tacos with this easy Strawberry Lemon Icebox Dessert.
Ingredients You’ll Need
See the full amounts in the recipe box below along with the recipe instructions.
- Chicken breast
- Taco seasoning – find the best homemade taco seasoning here.
- Rotel – you can use Original or the Rotel with cilantro and lime juice
- Chopped green chiles (canned)
- Chicken broth
- Salsa con Queso
- Crisp taco shells or soft flour tortillas
- Taco toppings of your choice
How to Make Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Tacos
Place the chicken breast into your slow cooker and sprinkle with a packet of taco seasoning.
In a small bowl, mix together the Rotel, canned green chiles, and chicken broth. Pour this mixture over the chicken in the slow cooker.
Cover the slow cooker with the lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours until the chicken is cooked through and very tender. The chicken should shred easily with a fork when it is finished cooking.
Use a soup ladle to scoop the cooking liquid out of the slow cooker and into a bowl. Set this aside; you will use some of this after shredding the chicken.
Use two forks to shred the chicken in the slow cooker.
Add the salsa con queso and 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking liquid to the shredded chicken.
Mix well, then cover the slow cooker with the lid and set to high. Cook for 20 minutes until hot.
Serve the chicken hot in taco shells with your favorite toppings.
Should I use Soft Tortillas or Crispy Taco Shells?
The choice is up to you! We really loved the crunch of the crisp taco shells. We just baked the shells in the oven according to the package directions, then filled them up. Delicious!
But we also enjoyed the chicken filling in soft flour tortillas. You could serve your cheesy chicken filling with both kinds of taco shell and let everyone decide which they like best.
What Toppings Are Best for These Tacos?
There are so many options, but here are some of our favorite taco toppings:
- Sour cream
- Chopped tomato
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped cilantro
- Shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Chopped avocado
- Corn salsa
- Chopped onion
More Easy Mexican Dinner Ideas
Slow Cooker Queso Chicken Tacos
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 can Rotel Original flavor or Rotel with lime juice and cilantro
- 1 4 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 3/4 cup salsa con queso
- Crispy taco shells or flour tortillas heated according to package directions
- Toppings of choice: sour cream, chopped tomato, shredded lettuce, etc.
- Place the chicken breast into a large slow cooker. Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the chicken.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the chicken broth, Rotel, and green chiles; pour over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Slow cook the chicken on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours until completely cooked through and fork tender.
- Use a ladle to scoop all of the liquid out of the slow cooker into a bowl; set aside. Use two forks to shred the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Add the salsa con queso and 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking liquid to the shredded chicken. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 20 minutes until hot.
- Serve the cheesy chicken hot in taco shells with the toppings of your choice.
- Slow Cooker